Dell Inspiron 580, Planning on GPU Upgrade, Unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoob55

Beta member
Well, basically my computer is a Dell Inspiron 580. The specs are O.K, however the GPU isn't very good.

It runs a i5 CPU 650 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs), 6GB memory etc. Everything is O.K except the GPU which is an integrated i5 graphics card. I want to upgrade, however I'm not sure if the XFX Radeon 6870 will fit or operate correctly.

Here is a photo of my PCI slot(s):
http://c0decub.com/IMG_0050.JPG (too large to link?)

I believe they are x16, which are the slots the card uses (apparently). My PSU is 150 watts currently and I plan on upgrading to 600 watts, because the card requires a minimum wattage of around 500 watts.

Will this build work:

Graphics Card:
XFX HD687AZNFC Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCIe, Dual mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI, Includes Dirt3 Game w/Registration at TigerDirect.com

PSU:
Ultra X4 600-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration, 80+ Bronze, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications, Vibration Dampener Included at TigerDirect.com

The specs for the Dell Inspiron 580:
Inspiron 580 Desktop Details | Dell Canada

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/28/2011, 22:20:36
Machine name: CUB-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 580
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5944MB RAM
Page File: 4500MB used, 7383MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Also, feel free to suggest any other card within the $100-$300 price range that would be ideal for gaming.

you have one standard pci-e slot (x16), two pci-e x1 slots and a pci slot.

The video card Is going to be close i think. Big card!

power supply will work but you will probably have to mod your case to accomodate the on/off switch.

OK thanks, so long as it fits and operates correctly I'm fine. I don't mind the on and off switch.

I did something similar to my XPS 8300. Not sure how different the cases are in size, but it was a tight fight for the PSU (OCZ 700 w Mod X stream pro), but I didnt have to mod anything, it just fit in place, just took up much more room then the stock. I did manage to fit a 6970 in the case as well, which was another very tight fit as the GPU is 16" long and would have interfered with a hard drive bay if I was planning on putting another hard drive in. I ended up using a 560 ti instead in the end.

A standard ATX PSU will fit in your case (unless your have a 580s), but Ultra makes some of the crappiest PSUs on the market. Go with either an Antec, Corsair, or FSP Group.

Just as thunderdome said, measure your room from the back of the case to whatever is across from the slot. Whatever card you choose will have to fit within that space.

if it doesn't fit i could always just leave the side of the case open?, and it should fit the case is around 17cm wide

if it doesn't fit i could always just leave the side of the case open?, and it should fit the case is around 17cm wide

Its not the width that is the problem, its the length I believe. Mine was fine width wise, but the long length, thats where it was a really tight fit. I think most GPU's are the same width, its a standard size.

with almost all cases even oem's like dell you can remove the hd cage or whatever is in the way of a longer card. If it is not removable with a screw or clip the rivets can be removed easily with a small drill bit. I have never encountered a matx or atx case in all my years that couldn't be easily modded to fit a full length card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom