Router Cabling Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadders93

Beta member
Apologies in advance if what I'm saying sounds unclear - not too good with technology!

I recently bought a new Cisco E2000 router, but am having trouble installing it. It seems I have the wrong shaped internet cable - see pictures in links below.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
http://tinypic.com/r/qqx0fm/7

So I was wondering if there was an adapter that I could buy, or whether I've just got to stick with the 7yr old router I'm running at the moment? (Which is a Netgear DG834G on ADSL, if that helps).

You need a Modem, mate. What you have is only a router.

I just contacted BT support and they said:

"4:58 PM Damien:
modem or router should work on our broadband service
4:59 PM XXX:
so assuming i can connect it to the splitter, it should work fine even though it's not a modem?
5:00 PM Damien:
yes, as long as its adsl 1/2 compatible & it fits into the filter which in turn goes into your phone socket"

So I'm confused now - some have said the same as MindoverMaster and said I need a modem, not a router (in which case, could I connect the E2000 to the current modem router I have via ethernet cables and work it that way?), others have said I just need to get an adapter for the RJ11->Ethernet cable and it'll work?...

Hook the router up to the existing modem.

[Wall] ---phone line--- [Modem] ---ethernet cable--- [router] ---ethernet cable--- [computer]

Is the basic structure. So take the ethernet cable that's going from your modem to your computer and unplug it from the computer, plug it into the router's port labeled "Internet", and plug the ethernet cable that came with the router into one of its other ports, and plug the other end into the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom