Pc freezes when being accessed over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HrBingR

Beta member
Hey all, listen, I'm having a problem with my Win7 pc at home. When being plugged in and connected, everything's perfectly fine. But as soon as someone tries to copy something to/from the pc, it freezes and has to be hard-rebooted. After the reboot, anyone can access the pc without any issues and it won't freeze like that again, until it completely loses power (cable taken out) and is plugged back in. I don't know what to do here, it's really annoying and nothing I've encountered before.

I've checked the event viewer and all I get is "Unexpected Shutdown"

I have never heard of anything like that either but a safe course of action would be to scan the crap out of your machine, Malwarebytes is a good free anti-malware software and run a scan with your anti-virus as well.
To be safe you can go in safe mode to scan (press F8 during boot up, before you see the Win 7 loading screen)

Does it freeze when that computer is tryin to copy somethin to/from over the network? Or just when it's being accessed by another computer?

I might be wrong about most of this, but what kind of firewalls are currently setup ?
If windows 7 did it's firewall setup for you and others in the home, make sure that your network group has a policy right in the firewall to get through.
Heck even a wii or blu-ray drive will sometimes lock up a network if your master system has not given permission for anything to come inbound.
Also, try adding the mac addresses to your router and setup your pc for 128bit encryption and do a ping on each one to make sure everything works correctly..
Atleast that will help it some and it will stop your pc from locking up.
To do a basic ping just hit start, type cmd, type ping 192.168.X.X meaning other number bits.
Just an example, four should go out, four should come back in no prob.

0 Firewalls lol. And how do I do: "Also, try adding the mac addresses to your router and setup your pc for 128bit encryption" On a billion router? lol

Type this in cmd: ipconfig/all it will display the current ip's connected to the router or your network by chance.
Depending on what router you have this my belkins default ip address:
192.168.2.1 by factory default, if you have not set a password for the router don't, usually it's best that way.
For the username most default router logins are admin
If you gain access to the router, look for a tab to your left or right that says wireless management or access points.
screenofwirelessrouter.png

For adding on such devices as printers, blu-ray or phones or high tech camera's go to the tab thats ,ac filtering, look on the device for a mac address such as this:
ambit_u10c018_mac.jpg

Make sure the device is online or scanning for your router and put in the address and hit submit.
If everything goes correctly it will show up on your network shortly.

For 128bit wep key encryption security which I recommend for home networking follow this:
wepkeysecurity128bitset.png

Article Viewer

I wish I could be there personally to explain and help set it up for you, as typing down way too much of this racking my nerves abit.
But that should help out some and carnage or anyone else can follow through with you if I don't show up later on in the day.

Mike.

By the way I screwed up the resizing in imageshack my apology for that.

You don't need to add MAC addresses to your router unless you're doing MAC Filtering; which by default routers aren't set up to do. And I assume he already has a secured wifi SSID, but that wouldn't matter if the devices he's trying to access from are wired.

Check your sharing permissions to see if something is off. Maybe trying disabling all sharing security and allow everyone access, and see if it still freezes.

Also, are the other devices wired or wireless that are trying to access the main computer? Are the documents you're trying to access on an external drive or on the primary hard drive of the system?

I would also recommend updating your network drivers (wired and wireless) on all of the computers to eliminate that possibility.

Carnage that is the reason why I mention in my last post he would need mac filtering.
I am sure his family has devices of accessing wireless accesspoints.
The most common one to cause problems are smart phones, because usually it will look for other ways to access the internet if the user makes the option available on it.

Printers, scanners and more should be a plus in here.
Security wise he will need it, never know about people dropping in your network without permission.

Carnage that is the reason why I mention in my last post he would need mac filtering.
I am sure his family has devices of accessing wireless accesspoints.
The most common one to cause problems are smart phones, because usually it will look for other ways to access the internet if the user makes the option available on it.

Printers, scanners and more should be a plus in here.
Security wise he will need it, never know about people dropping in your network without permission.

If you're using WEP then yeah, somebody could crack that. WPA2 is nearly impossible to break, however. WEP is NOT recommended because it is very easily crackable and access to the key is easy (look up aircrack). Even WPA's key cannot fully be retrieved, let alone WPA2.

If it's fairly new, it should at least have WPA (better than WEP still) or WPA2, which will be more than enough for the normal user's wifi network for protection.

Unless he doesn't have any security in place at all and his router doesn't support WPA/WPA2, then I would suggest using MAC filtering. But for the average user.... MAC filtering is not completely necessary.

Plus, I think it would be beneficial at this point not to implement any more security measures for the sake of troubleshooting... the temporary removal of security (similar to what I suggested of removing/editing permissions) would be better at this point so we can get a basis at either eliminating the possibility of security protocols being a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom