Need help with a 1-1.5k gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt19

In Runtime
Ok so I've been out of the game for awhile. I sold my old computer (sig) awhile back because the wife hated it. It's been over a year since I've even looked at computer parts. I mean my 8800GT was top 5 on the videocard comparison list and now it's all the way down to #42...boy have the times changed. There are 4GB videocards now? That just seems unreal to me.

Anyways like I said I need help in this new technology world to build a gaming computer.

I need everything.

Here's a list of what Games I might play.

World of Warcraft
League of Legends
Rift
Starcraft 2
Call of duty
Counter-Strike

Meh, it's probably easier just to say, if it looks good I want to try it and play it on max settings.

I don't want to SLI or crossfire, geeze with 4GB cards I can't comprehend how games wouldn't play on max settings with just 1...

Quad core would be nice to have again, i don't know if that's the standard or if it's obsolete now..

4-8GB of ram maybe..

No raid on hard drives.

Basically I want it to be an amazing upgrade to the computer in my sig. The Q6600 was an amazing CPU but the 8800GT disappointed me beyond believe.

1k-1.5k is the budget. The computer in my sig was about $1200 a couple of years ago so I can't imagine what you can get now.

I'm now based in New Mexico and Newegg would probably be the best choice to get parts from.

Thanks in advance!

case: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX
or
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

GPU: Newegg.com - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Motherboard: Newegg.com - MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
(some reviews say that overclocking will fry it, so don't do it. the physical OC dial is a cheap one which just increases wattage to the CPU, [i own this motherboard])

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Your grand total before the monitor HID's and speakers are about 1100$, not even. (i typed this line ater i added monitor etc. my bad haha.)

Assuming you want/need monitor, HID's, and speakers:

Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers
Gaming Mouse: Newegg.com - RAZER Naga Molten RZ01-00280500-R3M1 Black 17 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Special Edition Gaming Mouse

Keyboard (cheap gaming keyboard, great reviews though): Newegg.com - Rosewill RK-800G Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Gaming Keyboard

Speakers: Newegg.com - ALTEC LANSING VS2620 5 Watts RMS 2.0 Value Computer Speakers

With these your grand total comes to $1329.89

if you ask me, this is more of a more bang for your buck build. if you get an intel build, it would entail more expensive parts. but since i/we (forums) don't know whether or not you need HIDs, monitor, etc., we don't know if we can "blow" alittle more money on better parts.

anyway, this is a build i've wanted to build. my current one costed about the same, except i made it before 6000 series came out and RAM was still expensive..... :[ my 5850 is trash compared to the 6950 and cost the same amount. :[

anyway hope this helped!

Yes I need everything but speakers, keyboard, and mouse is pretty much user preference. Maybe a fantastic sound card would be nice to add unless onboard sound has significantly improved.

I've always been an intel fan ever since I upgraded my AMD 64 to a core 2 duo. As far as the videocard goes, anything that will last about a year or so because tax time is usually the time when my upgrades happen.

Motherboard should be Able to over clock. I heard the i5 2500 is a good overclocker anyways if that is the CPU I went with.

What's the standards for a good gaming computer nowadays?

Like how many cores?
How many GHz?
How much RAM?

Keep in mind my sig is the last computer i touched in a long time so please help me be impressed.

You keep saying "in my sig"...but I don't see any signature...?

8gb RAM, Quad-core is best.

I apologize for not giving you links to these, but Newegg is not loading for me at the moment...probably a cookie issue?

I'd go with:

i5 2500k (k version allows overclocking)
Asus P86P67 Pro
GTX 560ti
Corsair 750w
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8gb (one Roark linked you to)
Caviar Black 1tb (Same one Roark linked you to)
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
Sony Optaric DVD Burner (if you need blu-ray, then get a lite-on blu-ray player)
Windows7 Home Premium

I'd go with this monitor: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1) (copied link from a bookmark :) )
Very nice quality, 2ms response time, good for gaming, etc.

I didn't add the prices up for this, but if you find you need to cut the price a little, I'd probably get a cheaper SSD. The main goal of the SSD is to hold the OS and your main programs, where the 1tb drive is for mass storage. I recommend the OCZ Vertex 3 because it has extremely high write rates as well as read rates. If you get a cheaper SSD, Crucial makes drives with a lower write rate, but that is fine for what it will be used for...just make sure you choose one with a HIGH 4k random read rate (>50,000 probably).

+1 to the vertex, I've got a couple and they're amazing drives. If you've never had a PC with an SSD for the main drive, you're gonna love this :D
Overclocking the 2500's is really easy, same for all the SB cpus.
Only change I might make to that build is the storage drive, blacks are overhyped and expensive. Sure they're good, but there are other drives that match performance.
$15 cheaper, same performance, newer sata spec. Newegg.com - Seagate SV35 Series ST31000526SV 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom