Help Future Gaming PC (Thanks in advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobSaibot

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm new here, and I (honestly) haven't read all the rules in the forum because I'm kind of in a rush. I'm using a friend's net book to write this, so bear with me please. Also, I apologive up front if this isn't where I should be posting this, thanks!

So, recently my old PC came crashed down. It was his time, I guess, after nearly 9years with minor upgrades and tweaks. I'm an avid oldschool gamer, and I never really did need a hardware driven PC. I mainly use my PC for day-to-day web surfing (youtube, news sites, the like), video streaming (bsplayer, media classic), basic music listening (iTunes) and, most of all, gaming.

The thing now is: up until recently I was used to using my PC for playing old games such as Baldurs Gate (and other Infinity engine games), Deus Ex, Minecraft, Fallout 1 and 2, Half Life and CS, DotA and Warcraft, and Starcraft. As you can see, I never had much use for high specs or anything of the like. Any modern stuff I would play on my PS2, or at friends houses now and then. The most 'modern' game that I had installed was KotOR, which was from 2002.

I first started having thoughts on buying a completely new PC in early 2009, when Fallout 3 came out. I ended up playing it with a friends borrowed 360, and that also applied to Mass Effect (1 and 2), Oblivion, and a few others.

This all culminated a few weeks ago, when old PeeCee died on me. I thought this was the perfect time to spend some money on a brand new investment on the computer world; rather than buying a generic console to be outdated in 2012. :angry:

So this is where I stand guys, I really have little to no idea on hardware, and the last time I went out to buy a computer, I still lived with my parents. I would really appreciate it if I could be given the specs of a high performance driven PC that will run smoothly newer games (mass effect 3, witcher 2, skyrim and whatever may come in the next few years) as well as th classics.

On the software side, which I'm much more familiar, I've already opted for a Windows 7 Ultimate (since I'm looking to but it ASAP). As for the hardware, I leave it entirely to those willing to help out. My focus would be performance and something that keeps to date for at least two years. Price is not really an issue, but let's not push it either! :sweat:

So that's it friends. Again, I'm sorry if I'm posting it wrong, but 'High Performance Building' seemed to fit this just right. I also want to thank anyone that takes their time to help out. Thanks!

PS.: Please keep in mind that I've never solo-assembled a PC on my own, so any sites for parts, or tips or tutorials on how to assemble the hardware on my own is MUCH MORE than apreciated...! :big_smile:

Do you want to go the Intel or AMD route?
What price range? $600-$800? $800-$1000? $1000-$1500? More?

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
Newegg.com - MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - CD / DVD Drives

I think that would max about any game out right now on 1680x1050 res at around 30 fps, but if you had the extra cash you could also get an SSD for your OS (extremely fast, but also extremely expensive and smaller than normal HDDs) and/or go with an Intel CPU (more powerful, though the CPU I linked to should be plenty powerful for any gaming right now, but it would help for later down the line and with media editing) and mobo. (2600k and 2500k are good, and hundreds cheaper than the Intel 6-cores)

Oh, and you'd probably want a better case than that one, though that one is good.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case would be a better case, I think.

Also, if you planned on keeping the rig for a long time, I'd probably go with Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I think with the AMD setup of that it would come out at under $900.

(If any of you others have any criticisms of this, please bring it up)

All right guys, I've read the rules and I checked some of the pages you posted. As for the price range, as I said before, I'm looking at this more like an investment, rather than a random spenditure, so I'd settle with the price range of 1,000 to 2,000 bucks. Of course, I'm not looking to spend money on triflings, but still, I want to spend enough to keep the PC up to date for a while to come.

By the way, Slaymate, thanks so much for the guide, I'm reading it already.

You have 3 viable build options in this thread.
If you have a question about them, ask it, nobody can read your mind as to what you're bumping for.

The i7 970 is a waste of good money. It doesn't overclock good and the extra two cores really aren't needed as most games are just starting to utilize 4 cores. But at least the price is coming down, if it was priced in this range when it was first released it would of been a more popular choice. For the money, in my opinion, you'll have a much better PC with the i7 2500K or 2600K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom