Pixels mess up during videos or games and then computer freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteis

Solid State Member
Hi, I've had this issue for a while and am wondering if anyone has any insight as to what the issue is.

I'll be playing a game or watching a video, and all of a sudden the screen will show pink pixelated lines around the mouse area and then all over the screen. The sound will still go on but the screen will be all messed up like that. Then after a few minutes it will freeze entirely and I will have to restart. I had a feeling it was my video card, so I got it changed, but it still does it. I did have a slightly failed attempt at overclocking my new video card but I was using Afterburner so there wasn't any really crazy overclocks. Plus, it was still freezing before I overclocked it. So I'm trying to figure out what is faulty.

If anyone could help out in finding out how I would appreciate it.

My system specs are:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
Memory: 8GB
Video Card: XFX GTX 460 Cyclone (x2)
Motherboard: Nvidia nForce 780i

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

What I really wanted to check out was the +12v voltage but for some reason it's not listed. Also look at the min and max values of the voltages after awhile and see if there is any large difference between the two. The min and max value should be pretty constant.

Make sure all your video/chipset drivers are up to date.

Also, what are your CPU/GPU temps during all of this? Or even during idle?

Is there another way I can check my +12v voltages so I can relay those back to you?

My gpus usually never go over 50 degrees (celsius) unless they're under very heavy load. My drivers are all up to date as well.

Anyone? :( I've had this for such a long time I'm getting desperate.

I get pixellation in a game and when I watch streaming media it freezes so my problems aren't quite the same as yours but I thought I'd post anyway to see if any of it helps you.

This is what I've done so far to try to fix mine..

uninstall, clean up and reinstall the video driver
uninstall, clean up and reinstall the game client
update adobe flash player
update directx (I went to the microsoft site and download the latest version and installed it, if it's up to date it will tell you)

none of it has worked yet with the pixellation in the game but updating the flash player (not the firefox plugin if you're using that) seems to have fixed the pc hanging.

I'm out of ideas to fix the pixellation in the game - I can use another version of the game client to get around it but still..

So I don't know if any of that will help you but if you haven't tried them it might be worth a shot.

Good luck

My 1st guess would be a problem with your 780i mobo overheating. I had a 680i and 2 different 780i mobo's and the chipsets on all of them ran Hot causing all sorts of problems. When Intel finally started supporting SLI I threw the Nvidia chipset as far as I could and I'll never go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom