startup menu help

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzzie

Beta member
hi; i need to know how to remove an item from the startup menu. i would like to take items out but i have no idea were to find them or even what it is.

In Windows XP, Vista and 7, go to the Start menu.
Go to All Programs.
Scroll down to the 'Startup' folder.
Right-click any programs in there that you don't want starting up, and delete them.

There's a more advanced (and thus more dangerous if you make a mistake) way of doing it:
If the programs you're looking for aren't there, you can go to Run, type in 'msconfig'. Go to the Startup tab. In there, you can unclick any programs you don't want to start up.

What i do is go through msconfig to the startup menu,i know that. when there i click to start or not start,i know that. my prob is that i have a couple of items that click to start by their self without my permission and i can't stand that, i have to have total controll of my pc. When in the start menu i can't get a response with rite or left click so i can't delete. My question is how do i find these items on my pc? they do not show in programs or hardware.
thank for the info:suzzie

Could you post a screenshot of what is in the Startup list? Also, more will appear if you go into the Services tab and check 'Hide all Microsoft services'

thank for the info yami, service tab new to me. i unchecked a few,may help; ever heard of "gttask"?its been putting itself in start up. just started a couple of weeks now. i do banking online and concerned.
know of how to remove an item from the startup list?

According to a quick google, gttask.exe is a QuickTime Task Scheduler. I suggest you try Google next time ;) But yeah, I'm guessing that was installed along with iTunes or something like that.

thank for the info yami, service tab new to me. i unchecked a few,may help; ever heard of "gttask"?its been putting itself in start up. just started a couple of weeks now. i do banking online and concerned.
know of how to remove an item from the startup list?

Just uncheck it and it won't start up anymore. You don't need to completely remove it; this is so you can re-enable it later in case you run into any problems.

If you do for some reason want to remove it totally, you can use CCleaner, and under the Tools portion I believe, is a section to manage your startup list; where you can disable/uninstall/ or remove entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom