New here, and need a little help with upgrading my very outdayed pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyMac

Solid State Member
Hello All,
Im currently in the process of upgrading my very old PC and need some questions answered. First, here is what I currently have...

Windows XP Home Edition OS

(CPU)
AMD Athlon (TM) XP 2800+ by AthenticAMD
2082 Mhz L2 Cache 512 KB 32bit
3.3v

(Mainboard)
Kelut by ASUSTek released 2004 yikes!!!!!!

(Memory Modules)
Bank0/1: 512 MB DIMM
Total Useable physical Memory 448 MB

(Video Card)
VIA/SG3 Unichrome IGP
Chipset: VIA/SG3 Unichrome IGP
64 MB

Alright, now that thats out the way. Im wanting to upgade my motherboard/CPU, RAM, Video card and possibly my power supply. Im not a pc gamer, but I multi-task and do a bit of video work and I stay on the internet. Im wanting a faster responding pc along with more storage (music, photos, videos etc.) I've actually purchased this replacement MB
Newegg.com - MSI H57M-ED65 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

which also has an Intel Core i5 750 CPU already

Now, that I have these two crucial parts for my new pc, what else do I need?
What power supply and video card will I need thats compatible with this board in order for everything to run smooth?

This will be my first PC overhaul, and im confident I can do it. I just need a lil help with compatibilty issues and suggestions will be great also.

Thanks,

TM

Thanks for the response. Is the Radeon video card overkill for my needs though? Like I stated im not a gamer and I thought those are more suited for gamers....Also i've purchased Corsair Dominator 3x2GB Ram figureing the added memory would be a plus. Lastely, what sound card would you recommend? More input is greatly needed. Thanks again all.

You're right that if you're not going to be gaming, then the HD6770 is probably overkill for you.

I knew the video card was overkill, but it seemed like you like to use your system for a long time so I suggested something a little more powerful.

Here's a cheaper video card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Really for your needs I would've just told you to use onboard graphics if you didn't already purchase that cpu/mobo combo.

You don't need a sound card since the motherboard already has good enough onboard audio.

If you want to save some more money, you can get a lower wattage power supply. This will still be more than enough to power your system.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The motherboard you linked uses Dual Channel RAM, should probably get a Dual Channel kit instead of triple channel.
Are you going to be overclocking? If not then the stock cooler that comes with your CPU should work just fine for your purposes.

Thanks for the input. Can I still use the triple or will it cause problems? As for overclocking, no I will not be. I wanted a heatsink with some visual appeal so thats why I selected that particular cooler.

You can run the 3 sticks of ram but most likely it will be running in single channel mode thus reducing the memory bandwidth in half compared to running in dual channel mode.

You can use the triple, but your motherboard will read them as singles and you'll lose out on the dual channel performance increase.
I believe you can just use 2:3 of the modules and get dual channel, but then you're just essentially tossing out a stick of perfectly good RAM.

Here are the 8GB Corsair dual channel kits that compare to what you found in triple channel:
1600 CAS9 104.99.
1600 CAS8 129.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom