First Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitatis

Solid State Member
Hey Guys and Girls,
I'm looking on building a fairly good gaming PC. I have selected the parts but I'm not sure if they are, well good for a gaming PC.

Here is a spreadsheet showing the parts that I have selected.
Computer Parts list.xlsx

All feedback is appreciated (Except trolls :tongue:)

Ewwwwww. Nobody on here is going to open the link to an xls doc.

Youre best to screenshot it or write it out.

Frankly we don't know or trust you..... or anyone not established on the forum.

Post the build some other way and we'll help for sure.

Same thoughts here...wasn't going to say anything though...didn't want to sound paranoid, but I guess I'm not alone. :)

Oh for sure, I didn't even think about that, Here is a simplified list (As in without things like a keyboard and a monitor and mouse):

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU $296
Motherboard: Intel BLKDP67BGB3 P67 DDR3 1155 PCIEx16 SATA3 USB3 GLAN ATX $195
Graphics Card: eVGA GTS450 1G 822Mhz DDR5 2xDualLinkDVI HDMI $135
Memory: Kingmax 8G(2x4G)PC-10600 1333MHZ DDR3 $85
HDD: Hitachi 2TB SATA 6.0Gbs 32M CoolSpin* $89
Case: Seventeam 608K4A-F1BK Mirror Black 22CM Fan $45
Blu-ray: LGE BH10LS30 Black BlueRay SATA LightScribe Writer Retail $105
CPU cooling: Cooler Master V6 GT Universal Cooler $65

Total: $1,046

For gaming, save yourself about $100 and get the i5 2500k, the 2600 doesn't have any additional benefit for gamers.
Check the graphics performance list (here), your pick is #29 I wouldn't suggest anything less than #20 (GTX 460).
Only hear good things about WD Black hard drives, might want to look into one of those instead.

I assume you're going to be overclocking since you're getting an aftermarket CPU cooler? If so, make sure you get the "k" version processor, and probly want to bump the RAM up to 1600.

Also, what PSU are you planning on getting?

Get a power supply from Antec or Corsair, the Cooler Master one is low quality.

Edit: Get this ram instead:
G Skill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800 CL8(F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Thanks for the feedback everybody. You were right Roark, I will be over clocking and CPU cooling was one of my weak points, thanks. I was going to get this PSU: CoolerMaster 600W Extreme Power Plus (ATX) but then again I'm not really sure how the watts needed is calculated and as brinks said it is low quality. The case also has a side fan if that is a factor. One more thing, pricing isn't really a big thing, I don't really have problem waiting a week or two to finish saving up, so is there any actual benefits for the i7 2600 over the i5 2500k. Also that graphics performance list is a godsend thank you.

EDIT:
I compared the 2 CPUs and i saw that the i5 has 4 threads and i7 has 8, and the i5 doesnt have hyper threading technology, is that a factor? Also I have changed to #9 GPU, the GTX560Ti, would that be able to handle a game like, Assassin's Creed Revelations (When it comes out) on full graphics?

Can check the differences here. Main differences are .1GHz on stock clock and Hyper-Threading on the i7 which is:
Multi-tasking -More pathsfor data to flow through each core. The more threads you have, the more tasks you can execute at the same time.

There is a PSU thread here as well with a wealth of information. Wattage calculator links are at the bottom of the first post, and the second post has brand recommendations.

If you do rendering, encoding and video editing 2600k is better. With gaming your not going to see any real difference between 2500k and 2600k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom