Need help Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janos20

Solid State Member
Well my first build for a computer wasn't as successful as I wanted. The motherboard I choose had several issues including on-board network card failure. I have since started slowly trying to upgrade here and there. I have gotten a new case with better airflow, new graphics card, Hard drive, new power supply, and added newer case fans for a total of 4 fans.

I am at the point where I want to upgrade to a new motherboard, CPU, and get DDR3 ram. I have a pretty tight budget, so I can only spend at most $400. I want as much gaming power as possible. I currently play WOW, Rift, and when SWTOR comes out I would like to be able to play it.

Items I will reuse;
Case (ATX mid)
750 W corsair power supply
Nvidia GTX 460 graphics card
250g SATA hard drive.
Windows 7 ultimate

Items I am replacing
ASUS M4N78 PRO Motherboard - Socket AM2+
AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor HD9600WCGDBOX - 2.30GHz
6g of DDR2 Ram

Any suggestions of parts would be appreciated, thanks

Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65.
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE.
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600.
Total = $354 (before shipping/combo deals/rebates).

You bought the retail version of Windows? Otherwise its a bit of a chore upgrading motherboards as the license is tied to it, although if you tell them about your on-board LAN issues they should be accommodating.

*Edit - If you liked your ASUS motherboard, aside from the LAN issues, the comparable version to the MSI one I linked is $30 more and still within your budget.

ya its a free license, not tied to any motherboard or anything. I literally built this comp from the ground up. So nothing is tied to any manufacture like HP or Dell or anything.

And no I didn't like the ASUS, because of the issues and my inexperience it cost my an extra 100$ to have another computer person finalize the install

Are there any other suggestions for upgrades? or does this look like a pretty good set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom