Optical drive and cables question

Status
Not open for further replies.

No-Name

Beta member
EDIT: Nevermind, I decided to do one last search and came up with another thread that has answered my question.

I recently purchased a Samsung SH-B123 blu ray drive, I presumed like my old DVD drive it would need a 4-pin power connector + either an IDE or sata cable to connect it up.

On the back of my new drive, there is no power connector, the only connector on the back looks like it would need something like this or perhaps this to connect it up.

I dont know which cable I need to buy to connect this up to my PC and if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just to make sure that thread you found properly answered your question:
SATA drives need SATA power connectors, rather than the old 4-pin molex connectors found on IDE drives. You can get converters for 4-pin molex -> SATA power.

Yami, that isn't true. I still see a LOT of SATA drives that have the older 4 pin molex connection AND the SATA power connection. If you ever run into one of these drives, DO NOT plug up both, as it will fry the logic board.

I did not know such a thing existed (I don't work with as large a variety of hardware as I'd like to). Thanks for the heads-up :)

It is mostly hard drives that have both options, has always been rare for a cd drive to have both options, then again, SATA CD/DVD drives didn't become mainstream till much later compared to a standard HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom