Selling Computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigv32

Solid State Member
Okay I have three computers that I am either personally selling or helping my work sell some of theirs.

The two computers at work I am not sure what to do with. They both are running windows XP but we do not have any of the disks that came with it. Also, I believe that the older one has old accounting records.

While I do not believe there is any sesitive information on it, my boss is not sure.

Is there anyway to errase the data on the hard drives without getting rid of windows? I know reformatting the hard drives will get rid of the info unless someone who is really interested in the info wants it, but since the likely hood of anyone knowing where the machine came from or even caring about it are low, some risk is acceptable. My boss understands this, but there is a charity yard sale that could use any money they get from selling them and my work needs to get rid of them.

EDIT: Also, the oldest computerr I found out actully has two hard drives. One has windows xp and the other windows 98.

The thrid computer I am selling is only about a month old. All it has been used for is basic web browsing, and the only "personal information" that has been on it are some usernames and passwords to a couple of forums and other sites.

This computer has Windows 7 that was installed with an oem version.

Any advise or could someone please point me somewhere for information on what steps we could take? Thanks

Create a new user account, log in on that account, then delete the other user accounts. Make sure you select the 'delete user data' option when you do this too.
After that you can overwrite free space on your drive with a 3rd party utility. I'd recommend CCleaner (it's free and works great). Start it, then under Tools > Drive Wiper you've got the option to overwrite free space.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom