AMD vs INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossNews

Baseband Member
Hi guys!

So I need to get a new computer... but I'm stuck on the AMD vs INTEL question.

AMD
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

INTEL
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

They are both 190$. That is already pushing it for how much I want to spend on the CPU. But which is better?

I will be using the computer for gaming (BF3), web browsing, watching movies.

Thanks in advance!

If price is an issue I'd go with the Phenom II X6 since the motherboards are a fair bit cheaper for AM3 socket.

Well to be quite frank, I'm trying to spend as little as I can to get the most I can.

For the time being I can make do with some things from the old computer: Case, DVD, Hard Drive, Graphics Card (9800GT OC), Sound Card, Power Supply should suffice also for now.

From what I can remember of my computer building days, all I will need is: CPU (heatsink and fan), Motherboard, Ram.
The budget for that is really only a few hundred dollars. 300-400. I'm not sure what type of ram I have, but if it's DDR2 I can use that in the new DDR3 slots for the time being.

With such a low budget (300-400$) AMD is the way to go then?

Yha as Yami alluded to, Intel is the best/fastest chips.
AMD are the most cost effective.

I usually describe it as AMD is 85% as good at 75% of the price.

So depending on the budget, pick the one that'll give you enough room to not skimp on the other stuff.

I'm not sure what type of ram I have, but if it's DDR2 I can use that in the new DDR3 slots for the time being.
No, you can't; DDR2 won't fit in DDR3 slots and vice-versa.

With such a low budget (300-400$) AMD is the way to go then?
AMD has better a better price-performance ratio (bang for buck), so yes. Intel CPUs tend to have better performance but cost more.

I usually describe it as AMD is 85% as good at 75% of the price.
Agreed ;)

With that being said; would one of you point out some parts I should buy if I lay out my exact budget + current hardware I own?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that motherboard only support DDR3 1333 ram? I mean 1600 is a waste.

Not really, while it supports only 1333, 1600 works but will be3 set automatically at 1333, However it can be manually set to 1600, plus once you want to overclock, you have the room to do so with 1600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom