Does size really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I guess it depends on who you ask
Really, though I do have a question about SSD and size. It has been asked over and over but I have not seen any threads that really answer my question.
What size SSD would be the best option for me? I do your normal computer operation but do a lot of serious video work. I have many programs that I need to use for different things that I do. Several different things for video(large programs) office, programs that I have for home automation, hundreds of gb of music, hundreds of pictures, tb of video. Large programs for pictures. I know I won't store any of the music, pics or video on the SSD.
I have read many, many, many conflicting reports on what to do with your SSD. My big question is will I get faster video rendering if the program is on the OS drive? Where is the best place to put my programs. On another drive or on the same partition as the OS? I want what will be best for video work.

I'm not sure if having the OS one on SSD and programs on another SSD will be better than just one SSD or not, but I would recommend just having one SSD for both OS and programs because it is a hassle to install programs on separate drives...especially ones that don't give you an option to do so and automatically install on the C:

I have 2 SSD's and a regular HDD in my system. I have one 120GB Agility3 for my operating system, programs and games. I have a 1st generation 120GB Agility that I store all my frequently accessed data/work files and downloads on. And I have a regular 250GB HDD that is configured for my Page File, Temporary Internet Files, Temporary System Files and files that I may need for a week or two but I know will ultimately be deleted.

I can tell the difference between accessing a file from a SSD and the HDD but it's not a big difference most of the time. If you've got the cash SSD's are the way to go for speed, but for the majority of people a SSD for your OS, Apps and Games along with a speedy HDD for your Data is all that is needed.

As I have just been on a video forum talking to strictly video people I am finding out that an SSD is fairly useless for what I need it for, rendering. My computer will start faster and programs will load a couple seconds faster but that is very trivial for me.

That's why I suggested what I did.

Your rendering will be done by your CPU and/or GPU. The HDD just saves the data. You'd want to have a fast HDD if you're doing live recordings of things (like what musicians do with their PC's); otherwise it's not much of a big deal.

No live recordings of things, just from camcorders. So you still suggest an SSD even if it does not help me with much?

Only if you want the slight speed boost of your OS/programs. Otherwise, you'll be fine with normal HDD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom