What would you pick if in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YeloMelo

Beta member
Hi there. My laptop has been having plenty of problems for the past year, and is now practically trash. This is my situation, as I don't have money for another computer just yet:
Build a computer capped at 1 ghz with 1 gb of ram and a 256mb ati 1650x, or build a computer capped at 3 ghz with hyperthreading with 2 gb of ram and a 64mb ati 9000.
It's basically what I have lying around and the reason why I can't just put the best pieces together is because of motherboard limitations. I can't do this at high settings or with newer games, but which would be better with gaming? I play games from 08 and under, and am currently playing Halo CE. Also would windows 7 be optimal over xp for these builds?
Thank you.

I'd go with the 3GHz. But what CPU chip is that? Can't you use a 1650x with the 3GHz?

The OS would depend on what games you play. If they are pre-XP, I would run it with XP, as it is the closer match.

We need a bit more info before we can say for sure. What other parts are going in?

Edit: If these are laptops you want to replace, you can't mix and match everything.

Thank you for the response.

The 3 ghz chip is a pentium 4 chip that I've overclocked to 3 ghz, and I can only use it on an asrock motherboard that does not let me use my x1650. With that setup I'm forced to use either the built in intel gpu with 96mb, or my old 64mb radeon 9000 gpu. If I could use the best pieces I would.

As for the 1 ghz build its a P3 so I can't add my 3 ghz chip into it.

They are both desktops, not laptops.

Thanks.

the x1650 and the Radeon 9000 are both AGP cards and they should both work with either setup. What are the make and model numbers of the two motherboards?

ASUS CU4VX is the P3 and ASRock P4I65GV is the P4.

The ASRock is limited to a select few AGPs, while the P3 accepts any AGP card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom