Tech-Forums App?!?

Something that I'd like to see changed is the icon. The words and white background make it look ugly. Would look much better if it had a transparent background and just the "TF" orb.
vB doesnt have support for this yet. It has been discussed on their site for as long as the app has been released. Others have even tried work arounds to get it working. This is not a choice we have.

I assume you mean they don't have support for transparency?

Fair enough. Could at least get rid of the text, because on a phone screen (which most of the users are going to access it on), it is very low-res and hard to read, and doesn't make it look that great.

Yes they dont have support for transparency. At least not yet. The words I will show that to Larry and see what he says. But since we are not the only thing out there that goes by TF just having a logo kinda defeats the purpose as well.

But it's our logo lol. We have that font/color scheme; I would assume not many other people would have that same exact logo as us... Plus if we have the Tech-Forum app, we obviously know it's TF, and it has the words "Tech-Forums" right under the app icon as well.

Don't really understand why it can't support transparancy, since the icon is, is just PNG images embedded in the APK, and that's run by the OS if it supports transparency... I'm wondering if I can do some experimenting tonight. Mak, can you send me the full size TF logo since I don't believe I have access to it anymore?

Carnage,

Read the topics here from vB themselves about this issue. I dont think that it is possible to do what you want. According to them on multiple occasions this cant be done. I do see your point about our logo, the main issue I see is that sometimes people find the app and download it just trying to figure out what it is. I mean we have had a few people who found the app via the market and only signed up cause of it. So just having the logo itself might not be the best solution in all cases as it might confuse some people as to what the app is. Not to mention that it can only be done for Android Apps not iOS due to their requirements.

This doesnt include the different devices it would be installed on either. Not all launchers and themes have support for transparency either. I mean you could make one that we could download and use, if our launcher/theme supports it, but I dont see a way to get it used for every device out there.

It CAN be done. It just requires client-side editing since, according to that thread, it's because of Apple's guidelines that transparency cannot be used, which I know you're going to say is a hassle and etc. We could offer a modified APK if we get it working right in this thread, and have the normal app on the market still until it gets fixed, for those of us who would like a better looking launcher icon. It's not like the TF app gets updated all that often (I've seen it update maybe twice the entire time I've had it). Once a fixed version from vB comes out and we can use transparency that way, then we can just get rid of the link in the first post and voila...things are back to their rightful order.

This is exactly what I was going to do, and he said he had gotten it to work; so it's not an issue of the OS. It's just a problem with vB and their Mobile Suite (they say they're updating it soon, but we all know how well vB is at "soon"). It's a design principle put in by Android as well. This also leads back to the matter text on the launcher icon. Icons should be simple and representative of something.

If I do a search on Android market for "Tech Forums" it comes up with the TF logo (with the slogan words totally unreadable), the name "Tech Forums" and the website (techist.com) right under the name. If you click on the app it brings up an even smaller icon (something must be wrong with this, because it should be a large icon as well).

bduy5k.png

bj6aef.png

IMO, that's pretty ample information to judge what app you're getting, without being able to read the slogan that not many of those users will probably recognize anyway. Plus when you scroll down you can read the description of the app (which IMO is a bit lengthy too, but whatever).

I'm not trying to be a pain; I'm just trying to give my reasoning behind this. I've customized the way my Android looks, and on my phone (or for other superusers), it's just a bit ugly. The normal user doesn't have to worry about this at all, or if they don't care. Plus, it's not like the staff would have to do anything either (since I know you're busy); I could do it all (minus the editing the first post to include the link).

Well there is only 1 person who has access to building the APK and uploading it to the Market. That is Larry. So anyway you put it if people want it included as part of the App, it has to be added by Larry.

I aint gonna debate the whole word thing. Cause it is a non-factor. It is the owner's decision to have it look like this. He is the one who created the app so he knows exactly how it looks. It is his choice if he wishes to change it.

Plus if you really read the icon, it doesnt say the site name at all. It has the slogan "Let's talk tech" as the words listed. I can still make it out even given your screen shots. I will forward your request to Larry and let him decide.

Well there is only 1 person who has access to building the APK and uploading it to the Market. That is Larry. So anyway you put it if people want it included as part of the App, it has to be added by Larry.
Anybody can edit the APK on their device after they have downloaded it. The APK's are just archives. You must have misunderstood what I wanted to do. I wanted to make the icon transparent for me. Not uploaded to the market. And if I get it working, I said I could offer to let a staff member edit the first post with a download link to the APK that I would provide if anybody else wanted the transparent icon until vB gets it fixed.

I aint gonna debate the whole word thing. Cause it is a non-factor. It is the owner's decision to have it look like this. He is the one who created the app so he knows exactly how it looks. It is his choice if he wishes to change it.

Plus if you really read the icon, it doesnt say the site name at all. It has the slogan "Let's talk tech" as the words listed. I can still make it out even given your screen shots. I will forward your request to Larry and let him decide.

I know it doesn't say the site name, it says the slogan (I already addressed that). You know what it says because you've been a member here and already knew the slogan, so it was easier to make out for you. If I show those screenshots to people and have them try to read it, I bet you they will have a hard time reading what it says.

Edit:
Made the transparent icon:

25gqfmd.png

142uete.png

If anybody wants the APK for the transparent icon version of the app, let me know and I'll post it up.
Android market also still reports it as installed; I just don't know how it will react to updates (if it will accept the update and just overwrite my changes or what).

The Android app is updated to the latest version in the Android Market. When you go to the Market bring up the menu and select My Apps. You should see Tech-Forums listed as an available update.

The version of the app is now 1.1.2 and has many fixes. ;)

Couple of things I noticed right away, first you have to click the box in the upper corner by the topic title to reply to a thread. There is no reply button at the bottom anymore.

They have now included icons for attaching images, something that has been long overdo. Right next to the image button is a button to include a video. Nice addition. After that is the Bold icon and a font size.icon. last is the addition of smilies.

Once the forum gets upgraded to version 4.1.5, which should be soon, you will notice that the site when viewed on a PC browser will tell you where the person is posting from. This will help members know if a person is using the App, mobile skin or a PC when assisting them. Another great addition to help members better assist others.

Yet more things I forgot to mention. Images are now viewed inline so no more having to tap a post to bring up images! That is extra beneficial to those of us that use this app so we can see screenshots without extra tapping.

To edit a post, as I have done several times now, still requires you to tap the post to bring it up all by itself. At that time the Edit button will appear and you will be able to edit your post.

Forgot to mention this as well. Your signatures will be posted when in the app. As apparent by my post here. You will not see them inline bit when you tap a post to edit or bring it in view by itself you will see that members signature underneath their post.

So far I like the new additions. When I find more I will add it to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom