SSD install crash loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowd11

Baseband Member
Hey all,
Recently got a Toshiba NB505 netbook and wanted to upgrade to an SSD. I installed Win 7 to the SSD on my main rig as the netbook has no optical drive and booted it up. I got to Boot but no Post and it just keeps going in a circle. power up boot crash until i power it off the SSD ran fine on my main rig and the HDD that shipped with the netbook is still fine, but I cant figure out why SSD wont play nice. I can get to setup and BIOS on the SSD as well. I was just wondering if anyone else seen this before? Any help is appreciated. Also the netbook shipped with Win7 starter if that matters.

When you installed Win7 to the SSD from your main rig, the Win7 setup program configured Win7 for your main rig not the netbook. The only way the Win7 setup program will setup Win7 for your netbook is if the SSD is attached to the netbook during the setup process.

You can try to clone the old netbook hard drive to the SSD using a program like Clonezilla but the old drive needs to be the same size or smaller (in bytes) than the new drive.

Well its a 250Gb going to a 64 Gb is that not going to work? it should be able to fit on to it I have almost nothing on the the netbook I use it for note taking and mobile browsing is all. If I manage to clear the the toshiba **** would that work?

You need to research how to create a Win7 Flash install, your netbook probably doesn't have a dvd drive, and that's why your installing Win7 via your main computer. There are clone programs that let you clone just the data, and not the blank space, but there is a high chance when you go to put it on the SSD, your partition wont be aligned properly.

Hmm do you mean flash install as in a flash drive? Like an SD card? That would work for this if its feasible.

Oh ya ha i feel dumb. How would i start about doing that? and more importantly format the SSD? It takes over as the main drive when i put it in my main computer and Im not able to format it because its in use

I make bootable USB drives a more simple way - I install the ISO to the USB using the program 'Unetbootin'. It does everything for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom