Monitor Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallica

Beta member
Ok, here's my deal. I have an old monitor, Samsung 940T, that I was using until I got a newer bigger better monitor. Once I had my new monitor I decided I would hook both of them up for extra desktop space. Everything was working just fine. One day, my second (older) monitor stopped displaying. I'm not sure if I turned it off while playing a game, turned it off while the computer was running, turned it off while the computer was off, or what, but it doesn't work anymore. It is still getting power and the cords are all still in great condition. However the menu button and the adjustment buttons do nothing when pressed, even though the power button light is on while plugged in.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I've disconnected my new monitor and had only my old monitor on and it still won't work, so I don't know what is wrong. Is it just completely trash now?

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like a burned out backlight. With the computer running, shine a flashlight at the screen at a 45* angle. If you can see your desktop, or anything, your backlight is shot, If not, it may be the monitor itself is dead.

Ok, so it was the backlight, is this worth repairing myself? If so any idea on where to buy replacement backlights? I'm confident enough to do the repair myself as long as the price is reasonable and I can get the proper replacement parts. Has anyone done this before?

If the backlight is shot then it really isnt worth repairing. The cost to get the light itself will be on par with getting a new monitor. If you go with a good replacement and not some flea bay junk.

Actually, KSoD, I've replaced backlights before. They aren't that expensive on eBay, where I always buy them. They are a pain in the ***, though.

I got it all taken apart, but now I don't know if I really feel like doing all the work of replacing the bulbs. I don't really want to solder the wiring to new bulbs and looking at bulbs pre-wired, they are pretty expensive. Since this is only my second monitor and isn't necessary, I'll just wait and get a new one to replace it.

Thanks for all of the help!

If the backlight is shot then it really isnt worth repairing.
Not necessarily. If the monitor is old and too small, then it may not be worth it. Otherwise, the repair may be much less than a new monitor.

Note this could be the inverter and not the bulb itself. In my experience, more inverters go than bulbs. And they are typically easier to replace - though more expensive. Still, if willing to do your own work, and if the monitor (when working) meets your needs, then it is definitely worth repairing.

And even if you do not feel comfortable yourself, an experienced technician can replace both the bulb and inverter in about 1 hour, 2 hours top. So depending on your monitor, and if you expect it to meet your needs for the next couple years, even with 2 hours labor charges, it may be worth the costs of repair.

LCD Parts.net is a good source. Also if you Google around, you will find sites that specialize in replacing inverters and bulbs - typically at very reasonable costs. But, you have to factor in shipping, and of course, it means your monitor will be bouncing around the back of a truck, twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom