Building a $600-$800 gaming computer [First time]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJMede

Solid State Member
I know what you're thinking, 600 - 800 for a gaming computer wont get you much, but I'm broke at the moment. I cannot use the 'Egg or any other online services because I don't have a credit card yet. The cheapest solution for me (From what I know) is Tigerdirect.ca, It's Canadian and some of their prices DO rival new egg. If someone could put together a little something for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Assembling shouldn't be a problem, its finding the right parts

TigerDirect.ca- Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics

Basically what I need are the following (Everything else I'm gonna take from the computer I'm using now)

-Case
-CPU
-Motherboard
-RAM
-PSU
-Hard Drive
-DVD

I just hope my budget is realistic. I forgot to mention, I'm looking to play Black Ops or Bad company 2 at high settings (AA DOESNT have to be on I guess) with pretty smooth performance. So games like BC 2, Black ops, Shogun 2 etc etc. Most of these are pretty CPU intensive

Hard Drive$45
Memory$54
Case$50
PSU$50
graphics card$110
CPU$120
Motherboard$115
CD/DVD Drive$20

I included a GPU in there, too, a good one, and it's still under $600 total (well including mail-in rebate, $624 without mail-in rebate).
If you want one that's a little better...
6870$265 before mail-in rebate[/url] With that instead of the 5770, the pre-mail-in rebate total would be $749.
6850$213, a little less powerful than the 6870, but still more powerful than the 5770.
If that's still a bit much, you could use the GTX 460 768MB which is $167 before mail-in rebate, but $137 after mail-in rebate, and it's a bit better than that 5770.

(The * sign in the prices on that site mean after mail-in rebate)

You just saved me a ton of money.. thank you :) I'll definitely be looking into this

Not to double post or anything but I just realized I need a case fan too.. how necessary are they? Can I go say, 2 weeks without one?

Not to double post or anything but I just realized I need a case fan too.. how necessary are they? Can I go say, 2 weeks without one?

You will be OK until you can get them. You may want to wait on any suicide overclocking runs, though. ;)

Ok so I went out to tiger direct and got some of the parts today.
They didn't have the case so the guy recommended this instead
Buy the Thermaltake VM30001W2Z V4 Black Edition Mid Tower at TigerDirect.ca

And for the power supply, again they didn't have it so I asked what was best. I told him what video card I planned on using (5770 or something similar) and he said this would be a good substitute
Buy the Cooler Master 500W PSU Extreme Power Plus at TigerDirect.ca

I told him if the power supply wasn't sufficient I'd return it (Well I asked if I could, didnt really "tell" him -.- )

The case im not too concerned about, but the power supply.. 500w, and two 12v rails with 18A, sufficient?

Ok will do. I already put the PSU in the case and hooked it up to the motherboard, I hope the accept it -.-

Alright, I'm writing this from my new PC :D Everythings running great

as for the PSU, I decided not to go cheap so I replaced that cooler master with this

Buy the Corsair VX550W 550W ATX Power Supply at TigerDirect.ca

And as for RAM, they were out of the ones in the list so I got this instead

Buy the Patriot PVV34G1333LLK 4GB PC10666 RAM at TigerDirect.ca

however I'm still using my old video card, I'll be picking one of those 6000 series up soon though :)

Final question, any problems with the RAM or PSU I got ?

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom