DITY Network Storage Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfolkert

Baseband Member
Hey Crew-

I have inherited a large quantity (32) 250GB IDE hard drives that I'd like to turn into a giant Network Storage Device (NSD). I realize that I probably won't be able to use all 32 but I'd like to use a large portion.

I'd like to buy a giant case that I can simply plug these drives into that has a simple user interface. Any ideas? Thanks!

-Joel

Heres what you do, find a motherboard wit the most pci slots and IDE ports. Then you can fill all your pci slots with hard drive controllers(some controllers have 4 slots and somehave 2)so now you can load a lot of hard drive on it

Good Luck

thats a lot of storage!!!!

250X32=8 terabytes!!!!!!!!....wtf are you gonna put on those bad boys? You can't even have that many can you? what letter would go to the drive # 27?

slvrstang said:
thats a lot of storage!!!!

250X32=8 terabytes!!!!!!!!....wtf are you gonna put on those bad boys? You can't even have that many can you? what letter would go to the drive # 27?

Turning it into a home grown file server - Found a great Lian-Li case that will hold 18 of these drives. (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-074&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE)

I'll host two off of the mobo and the remaining 16 from 4 PCI IDE controllers.

Now for the interesting part - has this ever been done before??? I'm hoping Windows can combine the storage into a large RAID 5 array which should give me around 3 TB of active storage space. I'm guessing 20W per drive, which gives me 360W just in hard drives. Any suggestions on cooling? Anything else I need to be aware of?

-Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom