Upgrading CPU. AM2+ not compatible with AM3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you should be good. Model HDX955WFK4DGM is an OEM processor. You bought the retail box which is a HDZ955FBK4DGM and a stock heatsink/fan.

Thanks, Trotter!
I am really anxious about this purchase, and the games i will be able to play now.

Any advice as far as changing out the CPU?
I imagine it's as easy as taking the old out and putting in the new...i do know that i must try and not electrostatic discharge ruin the chip, but i don't think i have any control over that being that i don't have an ESD controlled area, hahaa.

maybe i should wear latex gloves or something.

just an off-shoot question, but post install, is there anything i should do with WinXP? Change any settings? or format HD?
any reccomendations from someone who has done this before?

Thanks again for the helpful info, Trotter...so glad i didn't blow $150 on a proc that wouldn't be compatible

Just ground yourself before picking up the cpu. Grab a metal part of your case and then pick up the cpu. Once you have the cpu in hand you can let go of the case. If you set the cpu down again you need to ground yourself again before picking it back up.

Latex gloves are a good idea to prevent oil from your skin from getting on the surface of the CPU. Try not to touch anything but the very edge of the CPU if at all possible. I always clean mine with alcohol right before I mount the cooler just to make sure that it is perfectly clean.

Once you install the new CPU and boot Windows will probably install drivers for it and have you reboot. This is completely normal. Once it does that (if it even does) everything is finished.

Latex gloves are a good idea to prevent oil from your skin from getting on the surface of the CPU. Try not to touch anything but the very edge of the CPU if at all possible. I always clean mine with alcohol right before I mount the cooler just to make sure that it is perfectly clean.

Once you install the new CPU and boot Windows will probably install drivers for it and have you reboot. This is completely normal. Once it does that (if it even does) everything is finished.

I do the same by cleaning it before I put the cooler on. I use a clean shammy just a bit damp with Isopropyl and wipe down the surface before putting the cooler on.

Sounds like your gonna have fun, good luck bud!

Thanks to Abstract Hero, Trotter and Slaymate...
The CPU install was a successful one. I notice a hike in performance as well, games are playing smoother.

I appreciate the help and the prep involved.

So, i think i am going to upgrade my vid card next...any recommendations would be helpful. The only spec i look at is vid memory,,,hahaa.
I currently have a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT (512mb)...I want something fast and atleast 1024mb vid memory, around the $150-$300 price range.

What other specs should i look into when shopping for one, and should i consider ATI Radeon instead of nvidia?

Once again thanks for the help on the CPU, i am happy with it! :)

*edit - oh yeah, im running a DVI connection to my LCD monitor (60hz refresh rate, or course), 1680x1050 resolution, i forget the actual screen size...if this helps with suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom