Upgrading RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven_v

Solid State Member
aight im going to be upgrading my RAM...and i need to know how much RAM my computer can take and what type of ram i need to buy how do i figure out how to find this imformation :-\ and another thing about cd-burners for your computer.....is there certain ones you need to buy or can u get like any cd-burner for your computer....and what would be the best speed and stuff like that i really need help so can someone please help thanxs in advanced :D

Steven

well, we need to know info about what proccesor mobo, and stuff like that. i would help more but im about to turn in for the day. if no one else answers (they will the ppl here rule) ill help in the morning. btw welcome to the forums.

yea, tell us the CPU, and motherboard. If you dont know and you bought it from a local store like best buy or something like that, tell us the model.

the processor of my mother board is a Trigem Computer, Inc. Pinole and CPU info is 1.10 gigahertz Intel Celeron
...um any other info if so ill edit this post and put some more info :) thanxs for your help :D

Those boards were usually SD-RAM, instead of the newer DDR.
You can take out one of the modules, and look at the label
(they should be labeled as to whether they are SD or DDR). It's possible that you have Rambus memory also.

Even if the label is unclear, you should be able to tell by looking at the number of pins (don't worry about counting them).
If it has 168 pins, in 3 different sections, like this one:
SDRAM-MEMORY.jpg

It is SD-RAM.

If it looks like this (only 2 sections of pins, 184 total):
ddr.jpg

It is DDR.

If it looks different, take a photo if possible, and we'll tell you what it is.

is there any way of finding out the inforatmion of RAM with out takin the stick out :-\

You can download a program like CPU-Z, but I'm not entirely sure if it supports much older processors...anywho you can get it at http://www.cpuid.com and it's just a simple .exe file that you run and it tells you various info regarding your system. Theres a tab called 'Memory' Click that and it'll tell you how much of what kind of RAM you have. If that program doesn't work try SiSoftware Sandra, just google that name "SiSoftware Sandra"

awesome well the CPU-Z worked lol it says that i am using SDRAM 128 MBytes manfacutur is infeneon lol so thats what i would look for when i by ram right ??? and is there a limit on the amount of ram to add to your computer??? if so how could i find that out and about the cd burner sorry for all the dumb ?'s lol and thanxs for your guys help just....

Yes there's always a limit on your motherboard. I think SiSoftware Sandra can tell you that ;) Either that or the manufacturers website and/or your manual if you have one. That still doesn't tell us how fast your RAM is meaning PC100, PC133 or what, on that memory tab it should tell you the Frequency it's running at and this can help us further determine the amount of what speed memory you can put in there.

Im taking a shot in the dark and saying that you can most likely only expand to 1 GiG.

When in doubt, call the manufacturer or the vendor you purchased it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom