prebuilt upgrading help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.birdy

Baseband Member
had this for about 2years now.warrentys been up so no need to worry about voiding that anymore ;)

i do moderate gaming in the sense that i play alot of em..but only when i have time(dam you school and work!).but my life revolves around my computer.tv.dvr.music.photos.etc all done on the same rig.

for starters i was thinking better video card
http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

next i have a 24 monitor now...but want something bigger...not sure how big id need to see a noticable difference..i dont wana upgrade unless its worth it.i also was tossing around the idea of dual monitors but im not sure if that would distort the image too much(when im watching tv).also my apt is facing sunrise so for most of the day its pretty bright.i have a lcd right now and reading that if i got a led it should give me a better quailty picture during the day.this true?

now with that video card im pretty set on it...but my mobo is not pci 2.0 so im afraid it might bottle neck it.if so what mobo should i get?

if my current mobo is fine is there a way to unlock bios?i ask because i currently have no overclock options(which isnt too suprising cuz its prebuilt) and i would like to overclock everything a little(just to learn how to do it)

right now im only running 6gb of ram (3x2) and maybe would add another 2gb stick just because

for power supply i was thinking along the lines of
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

just to give me a little cushion in case i want to add more things later

is there anything else im forgetting?more cooling maybe(i live in texas.and temps easyly reach over 100 during the summer)

ill probally wait til cmas time rolls around because newegg had killer deals on most eveything and tv/monitors get pretty cheap than too.

with out price of video card included budget 500 to 1000

Okay, To update your gpu, youre gonna need to upgrade your power supply. /But not an 850... Its a great psu, but unless youre gonna dual card it, its well over kill.

550-650W is just fine.
PCI-e 2.0 is slightly useless to most of use, sol don't worry.
A 24" screen is plenty, remember they all usually run the same resolutiuon, so a bigger screen jusgt has bigger pixles, making it less nice.

Be warned though, a new card is going to heat up things, so it might be a wise move to think of a better airflow case.

I could build an entire system for $1000

Okay, To update your gpu, youre gonna need to upgrade your power supply. /But not an 850... Its a great psu, but unless youre gonna dual card it, its well over kill.

550-650W is just fine.
PCI-e 2.0 is slightly useless to most of use, sol don't worry.
A 24" screen is plenty, remember they all usually run the same resolutiuon, so a bigger screen jusgt has bigger pixles, making it less nice.

Be warned though, a new card is going to heat up things, so it might be a wise move to think of a better airflow case.

I could build an entire system for $1000

lawlz..guess im glad i asked yall before i went and overpaid a grand on a new set up

so we coverd ps and monitor.lets say i keep my monitor...would there be a better suited video card for it(i was gona go with that was because i was planning towards new monitor.but in any case id like to be able to max out graphics without any troubles)

also what case should i get.just any?

how can i test what my temps are at now so i know what to work towards for the future

would this power supply work?better for me
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

To be honest that card is overkill for your system. While it will outperform almost any other card, your cpu will be a bottleneck. You could spend less money on a 560Ti and probably get similar performance just because the cpu won't bottleneck it as bad.

I would spend my money on this
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

one of these
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

and this
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Honestly.... Thats a beast of a card, especially going into the oem case.... I didnt look before, but eek. It won't fit I'm 90% sure.

Seriously, unless youre running top everything, youre going to be spending alot for minor gains.

A gtx560 is great gpu, and affordable. A 560, or 6950 is a great gpu, at good prices. To pick, I'd read reviews for how the cards ran your intended games. Then get the one thats best overf your gaming style.

Also with your bios being locked, you aren't going to be able to over clock, so you'll bottle neck a 580.... 560 at extreme things i think abit.

That psu, was, and supposively is still great. Corsair switch suppliers, but Corsair serfvice is fantastic.

Cases I don't usually advise straight up. My saying is I don't have to look at it, you do.

I have a top notch case, but honestly it slightly under performs copared to my last case... but still lve it for itsa features.

I'd look for great airflow... In the front, out the top.
Antec "/hundred" series are great coolers, so asre the hafs by Coolmaster.
My suggestion is to pick a few and post them up, and somreoe can pro/cons them for you.

Grrrrr **** Nija!

For a case, go with what looks good to you. Just make sure it has enough fans. I am using an Antec Illusion 300 that has two 120mm front fans, a 120mm rear fan, and a 140mm top exhaust fan. I added a 120mm side intake fan.

A 560 or 560 Ti would max out about any game out there. On the AMD/ATI side you could look at a 6870, 6950, or 6970.

That 650W PSU is a good one. Check out the comparable Antec and see if you could save a few bucks as the quality is equal.

Ninja'd as well.

alright.thanks for all the help guys.ill get on buying this stuff now.

when i switch processors am i gona have to do anything software wise to make it compatable?

also i just noticed the 6cores droped in price a bunch.would switching to that work too?
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

with this case can i turn off the lights or are they always on
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom