Building a new PC..Need some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyyankee88

Solid State Member
hi i was thinking of building a PC, with no previous experience i m looking forward for some advice on the selections i made for the components

First of all the main purpose of it is Video Editing/encoding/converting/ripping. Generally i use h264 Codecs for encoding.......

Here are the parts i have selected. Let me Know if there is any compatibility issues or something that should be changed for higher performance.....

1) Zalman MS1000-H1 Profesional Quiet Computer Case (i m not going for looks but reliability)

2) Intel Core i7-970 ( i did came across some benchmarks comparing this to i7 2600k with that being on top for h264 conversion, but with this being 6 cores it must be better i believe, let me know)

3) Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58,
SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3
support, SATA 6GB/s, USB 3.0

4) Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

5) Radeon HD 6970 (2GB)

6) Corsair HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91
SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active
PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

7) Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III
MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ( i don't need much space since i clear up the hard drives and keep everything on external drives, would ssd investment really help in for performance of video conversions..........?_

8) i m still confused with the cooling, i surely will need a cpu cooler but cant really decide on that.... a little help on that would be appreciated..........another thing i saw some custom cooling installation on graphic cards...is that really necessary?? the fan on graphic card itself wouldn't be enough??

if i missed out on any part please let me know:)

1000w psu is not necessary for this build: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply This will be fine...

As for the SSD, I recommend OCZ's Vertex 3. Much faster read/write speeds.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G.oem 2.5" 240GB SATA III - SSD

You won't need a CPU cooler unless you plan on overclocking. The stock cpu cooler that comes with it is just fine.

1000w psu is not necessary for this build: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply This will be fine...

As for the SSD, I recommend OCZ's Vertex 3. Much faster read/write speeds.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G.oem 2.5" 240GB SATA III - SSD

You won't need a CPU cooler unless you plan on overclocking. The stock cpu cooler that comes with it is just fine.

i m planning on adding more graphic cards/sound cards/ cooling / overclocking, in coming future thats y wanted to keep my options open which is why i picked 1000 watts

thanks for the advice for the ssd - i will go with that

i m still stuck with i7-970 and i7-2600k in both of my hands cant just decide over them??

what in your mind would be max overclocking with safety for 2600k ?? i7-970 doesnt seems to go that much up as far what i have seen....

and about the bench marks they are comparing single cores if i m correct?? in that case even after overclocking i7-970 would be around one core advantage over 2600k??

I would recommend that you use the antec lanboy chassis for high performance cooling, I have had good feedback from my customers who use this chassis.
Newegg.com - antec lanboy

will consider this, thank for the advice!!

If you're going to overclock, then go with the 2600k...people have got it up to 5ghz on air cooling (although most I've seen his around 4.6-4.7, but that's still high).

I would go with the i7 2600K over the i7 970. The extra two cores of the 970 just aren't needed and the 970 just isn't that good of an overclocker. Plus it's expensive, I'm sure you can find something else to spend that money on.

I would go with the i7 2600K over the i7 970. The extra two cores of the 970 just aren't needed and the 970 just isn't that good of an overclocker. Plus it's expensive, I'm sure you can find something else to spend that money on.

I also agree because this is also the second generation I7 which yields a large performance increase.

ok i m convinced with i7-2600k, which would be the best motherboard to go with it, lets say wahtever i saved on processor can be used for it (range 100-400):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom