System boots but no display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the sticks are definitely seated properly. One in each slot then the other in each. Each time making sure of seating. So yes, I will try another stick tomorrow. Have a good night, er, day, SOul.

there could be residual charges being held in the motherboard, causing it to not boot properly. Dell computers are known for this?

Have you tried draining the capacitors by unplugging the power source and holding in the power button for 3-5 minutes and then plugging it back in.

Well I don't know about a Dell, or HP, Compaq, etc..., but your bios may have a setting for PCI-e or PCI video.

This Asus mobo has it located as Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Initiate Graphics Adapter and the options are [PCI/PEG] or [PEG/PCI]

I have an old EVGA mobo manual it it shows the same basic setting under the PnP/PCI Configuration Menu > Init Display First and the option are [PCI Slot] or [PCIEx].

With that said, the system should be able to work with a video card in either type of slot. And the bios setting above should only effect the order in which the system looks for the device (quicker boot). But you never know.

It sounds like it's either the cpu or the mobo to me, but I would try a different power supply first just to rule out the possibility (fans, a few lites, even a HDD spinning doesn't mean it good).

Well I don't know about a Dell, or HP, Compaq, etc..., but your bios may have a setting for PCI-e or PCI video.

This Asus mobo has it located as Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Initiate Graphics Adapter and the options are [PCI/PEG] or [PEG/PCI]

I have an old EVGA mobo manual it it shows the same basic setting under the PnP/PCI Configuration Menu > Init Display First and the option are [PCI Slot] or [PCIEx].

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I would check because of the no display issue.

With that said, the system should be able to work with a video card in either type of slot.

Key word, "should", I tried that but like Trotter said, who knows with a Dell.

It sounds like it's either the cpu or the mobo to me, but I would try a different power supply first just to rule out the possibility (fans, a few lites, even a HDD spinning doesn't mean it good).

Ok, cool, I will keep these things in mind.

@ all, thanks everyone ! Please stay tuned.. I'll be back soon with an update.

Usually if the CPU is dead then fans will spin up, hdds will spin up, but you'll get no beep codes at all. So *hopefully* your CPU is still ok. Mobo though yeah, that could be the problem :( hate it when that's the case because unless you've got another system spare with compatible parts it's hard to troubleshoot

Sorry for so long in responding but I finally got some time in to fix my daughter's computer, and the verdict is......RAM. I bought a new RAM stick and voila ! Thanks for all the ideas, people. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom