Green Artifacts on Monitor with New Computer - Not the monitor, not the computer - Strange situation!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanhostetler

Baseband Member
I just purchased a new computer. i7 960, 12g ram, soundblaster xtreme audio sound card, nvidia 210 video card. I have updated all drivers, including the video card driver more than once. I get green artifacts on the screen of my monitor. The artifacts were on and off for a while and now they are constant.

First, I thought it was the video card. I replaced the card today with a brand new, out of the package, identical one and I have the exact same problem, even after updating the driver; the artifacts are in the same places.

I then checked the motherboard. I secured the ram and removed it and placed one ram piece in the first slot (a different one than was in the slot before). Same problem.

I then took the video card out and placed it in the other PCI-E slot. Same problem.

I then hooked the computer up to my roommate's monitor (which is so old it likely was first hooked up to a 386). No artifacts. No problems. Clear, perfect screen. So, the computer isn't bad.

This made me think that my monitor is bad.

I took my old computer (an old Compaq Pentium 4) and hooked it up to the monitor which gets the artifacts. The monitor worked flawlessly. This tells me that my monitor is not bad.

I then, using the new computer and my monitor (original configuration), switched the cable that connected the two from VGA to DVI. Exact same artifacts and problems. So, I don't think it's the VGA connection. (I did not restart; maybe i should have)

Next, I took my computer and hooked it up to another of my roommate's monitors, which is a very new and nice digital monitor using a DVI connection. It worked on this monitor flawlessly as it on did his other monitor. Again, doesn't look like the computer.

My monitor (the one that gets the artifacts) is an AG Neovo S-17 and is almost nine years old. It is the only monitor which seems to have problems with the new computer, yet with the old computer I've determined that the monitor itself isn't bad. The only thing that I can conclude is that there is some sort of compatibility issue between my new machine and my monitor. Any ideas as to what I should do? I'd like to rule everything out before I get a new monitor.

Cheers,

Ryan Hostetler

I am now wondering whether it is a driver issue. I run 64-bit Windows 7. Could my monitor not be compatible with Windows 7?

Please don't double post. Use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add your new thoughts to your previous post if no one has posted a recent reply.

It could be a problem with the shielding inside of the old monitor and something electrical that's located nearby. When you move it to another pc your out of the interference range of the offending electrical device. Just a guess.

I don't think it's an interference issue. I set up the old computer in the same place as the new one and got no artifacts. I have also moved the new computer around and shut off other things I thought might be causing interference. I'll toy with it a little more...

No change. The only other thing I can think of that might cause the interference would be my 2.4 wireless mouse, although I'm reluctant to believe that it is that. Seems like a long shot ....

The artifacts went away completely for a couple of days and now they are back but they have changed. They are now coming in waves across the screen. I have purchased a new monitor although it won't be here for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom