Laptop Pricing History?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
I'm looking to buy a laptop within the next few months, but I would like to get the best possible performance at the least cost (perhaps an obvious desire).

Does anyone know of a resource that has a record of various laptop prices for the past few years?

I could use such a list to examine how quickly the performance-price ratio (if such a phrase exists) has increased over time, and then use this information to estimate when might be the best time to buy my laptop.

And as a side question, can anyone predict how much longer DVD drives will be standard in laptops? Can I expect them to stick around for a few more years before being replaced by blu-ray drives or whatever?

There might be something new that's coming out in 2 months. Prices fluctuate. What may be $1,000 6 months ago, could be down to $850 by now. Don't worry about what the greatest next thing is. Technology grows.

Look at Mobile CPU charts. That is your best bet as far as performance. Mobile GPUs as well.

No one can say how long they will be a norm. Let the companies figure that out. You can replace a Blu-ray drive later. They use the same connection.

DVD drives should be around for a long time yet, heck look how long floppy drives lasted. Not all programs need the 9001GBs Bluray disks can hold, it'd just be inefficient. DVDs will stick around to fill that void.

Laptop prices have gone down compared to the past. You get more for you dollar now then you did 2 years ago. Now you do get what you pay for. All 500 laptops will basically have the same quality components. A $1200 laptop will have better components then a 500 laptop. What you have to do is look work the laptop that meets your need with components and compare prices. You can find rebates and things that make one laptop a better deal then another. You also may see 2 laptops priced similar but one may have 6 gig of ram and 500 5400 RPM drive and other may have 8 gig on ram but a 320 7200 rpm hardive. In that scenario you need to determin what you need more.

I love big screen laptop so i just bought an Acer AS 8950G. It came with a 18.4' screen 750 gig 5400 rpm drive with 8 gig of ram. The Toshiba had a 18.4" screen with 4 or 6 gig of ram but a 7200 rpm hard drive for 2 or 3 hundred more. I have been happy with Acer in the past so I got the Acer and added an 128 gig SSD drive that boots so fast if i blink I'm miss the boot up.

I'm looking to buy a laptop within the next few months, but I would like to get the best possible performance at the least cost (perhaps an obvious desire).
Does anyone know of a resource that has a record of various laptop prices for the past few years?

And as a side question, can anyone predict how much longer DVD drives will be standard in laptops? Can I expect them to stick around for a few more years before being replaced by blu-ray drives or whatever?
1. Beat this, it is fairly great. They do the searching, sell nothing themselves, and have "Trending Charts": Best Deals & Sales on PC Laptops
2. I think Blu-Ray has yet to be the default Drive in Desktops (and the Disk are expensive) so unless something bigger and cheaper comes along (not too likely after all the time invested in setting it as a Standard in the first place) it will be the "Multi-Disk (BR/DVD R/W)" in Desktop first, then in Laptops; after the power usage is reduced and the price of disks comes down (which won't happen until more people buy them).

BluRay drives are slowly becoming standard in laptops/desktops, probably in another year or two you wont see much of any dvd drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom