Upgrading memory....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
I'd much rather get another set of 2x2gb OCZ Platinum...but they either aren't a new set, or their from someone I don't trust, or they're ridiculously priced. The one I have is this: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory with Exclusive Bundle of OCZ XTC Fan Model OCZ2P10664GK-XTCC but I bought the one without the fan thing...

I'm not really sure what has to be the same when it comes to adding more memory...is it size? speed? voltage? latency? what?

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM, 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500), 5

I don't know if this will link you to what I want it to, but these are the ones on newegg that are the same type, size (2x2gb), speed (DDR2 1066), and latency.

What I want to know:

-What is required for memory to be able to work together?
-What is the best choice for adding memory?
-Is it a better idea to just wait and upgrade my processor, motherboard, and ram later?

Go with the same speed (and latency if you can get it). The main thing is to set them up so that they are identical performance-wise. I am running Crucial and G.Skill together, no problems.

Basically, yes. It would be better if you could find some with the same timings but you can set them all to run on the same in your BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom