New Rig Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks about the keyboard. Razer products are usually pretty good. I've never had a problem with my headset, but then again that's a headset and not a keyboard. But for the G15, I've had one for over 2 years now (I'm pretty sure I got it when I built my current rig) and never had a problem for as long as I've owned it.

But I do have a couple questions, Foozle:
-What expansion slots did you use for the GPU? Because from what I can tell based on the pictures, it would fit nicely into either the 5th or 7th slot from the top (with the motherboard in the case).
-Do you plan on doing any wire management? If so, I'd love to see pictures when you're done.

Thanks for this thread Foozle! Because of you, researching my own new build was almost effortless! :big_grin:

**EDIT**
Also, if you could manage some internal pictures with the side cover off (so I can get an idea of how much room I have for mods) I would appreciate it.

Your welcome. I'm glad you found the thread helpful, but most of the thanks go to Fire Fox and others who contributed. I found their help really really valuable.

On the keyboard, only locked up once last night playing WoW and unplugging usb and replugging seemed to fix it. Not sure what to do with it actually.

On the GPU, I have it plugged into the first available slot on the top. Looking at the motherboard, there are two other PCIEX16 slots, but the 3rd one is at the very bottom so wouldn't work. The 2nd one down might work, but you would cover up a PCI2 and PCIEX16 slot, so not certain about that one.

I'd include some pictures, including a picture of that mystery plastic piece that came with the Coolmaster HAF that I've yet to indentify a purpose for, but I'm not sure how to attach pics to this reply - it is asking for a URL when I try to Insert an Image.

Regarding wire management, I plan to at some point, but may still install that beastly cooling fan so will wait. Plus, I've never done before, so not sure the best way to do wire management. The Tower is awesome, but given its size already, would have been nice to give an extra inch in the right side panel for more wire room.

8gb is a good amount for games, heck, I'm using 4gb and get to around 80% usage when I'm doing other things while playing games. Not sure about the other question...you could overclock that set..

Note to Anime_Dude07. You are probably more familiar with building computers than I was so not sure if this is the best order of assembly, but here is what I did:

Power supply
CPU cooling fan backplate on motherboard
Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Various drives: ssd, ata, blueray
Cables to SATA controllers, including the front panel ones (if you do GPU first, it is difficult to reach the sata controller sockets)
GPU
CPU Fan
Power cables
Front panel connectors (except SATA which was done previously)

Other notes:

There are only two Intel SATA 6gb/s controllers, so I used those for the SSD and the ATA drive. I plugged the Blue Ray and the front panel connectors into the SATA 3gb/s controllers.

Still didn't figure out what that plastic basket looking thing was that came with the Tower, but if I figure out how to post a picture I'll post it to see if someone can identify.

There was a double USB socket/cable connector that came with the motherboard, but I didn't use as instead I plugged the HAF 932 front panel double connector into the motherboard USB socket instead.

For the GPU, there was a single cable that combined two four-plug power cables into a single six-plug, but I didn't use as instead I used two 4+2 plugs that came with the power supply.

Not sure the distinction, but I chose to plug the SSD and ATA drives into the Intel SATA 6 gb/s controllers rather than the Marvell controllers.

I haven't tried to overclock anything yet, and will likely wait until I can install the NH-D14 cooling fan first. With stock fan, I'm running around 30c idling and 50c full gaming.

Your welcome. I'm glad you found the thread helpful, but most of the thanks go to Fire Fox and others who contributed. I found their help really really valuable.

Agreed. Many thanks Night Fox, Slaymate, and brinks. You have all been helpful to this thread, and hopefully to many others looking into a similar build.

On the GPU location: Ah! I see! Don't ask me why, but I looked at those pictures of the GPU on Newegg and was picturing it upside down from the way it actually fits into the case.

If it's asking for a URL, I think what it's looking for is for you to post the images onto something like Photobucket, and then post the URL to that image here.

Wire management can be a daunting task, especially if you already have a fully functional system put together that you then must move wires and rearrange the interior. But if you're anything like me, you'll like it so much better once you get some wire sleeving and a cold cathode light in there.

Note to Anime_Dude07. You are probably more familiar with building computers than I was so not sure if this is the best order of assembly, but here is what I did:

If experience teaches anything, it's that not every build is the same. As long as everything is together and working, then the order doesn't matter so much with one exception. The notes about the GPU being in the way of some of the motherboard connections are very helpful.

The plastic basket on the HAF 932. I've been wondering the same thing.

Question about the USB connections: The 4 on the front I/O panel on the case are USB 2.0 and the extra panel that came with the case itself has 2 USB 3.0 ports. I just wanted to clarify that what you are saying is the motherboard also came with a 2 USB 3.0 panel (one that resembles the extra panel that came with the case)?

Marvell controllers... hmm... nope. I got nothin'. I've never heard of those before.

Those temperatures don't seem bad, but when overclocking it is definitely a good idea to install an aftermarket CPU cooler - namely the ND-H14 you already own. Just make sure you use a thermal paste when installing it though.

Best Thermal Paste:Battle of the Thermal Compounds
As for the instructions, you can find a number of very helpful videos on Youtube.

Question about the USB connections: The 4 on the front I/O panel on the case are USB 2.0 and the extra panel that came with the case itself has 2 USB 3.0 ports. I just wanted to clarify that what you are saying is the motherboard also came with a 2 USB 3.0 panel (one that resembles the extra panel that came with the case)?

I believe there are six USB on the front of the Case (4 USB 2.0 at the top, and 2 USB 3.0 about mid-way down). The extra 2 USB 3.0 panel came with the motherboard, but not with the case, and it would fit into the back of the case, taking up one of the expansion slot openings. I chose to plug the front USB 3.0 into the motherboard and didn't use the panel that came with the motherboard, as there wasn't another USB 3.0 socket. Hope this makes sense?

Regarding thermal paste, the cooling fan came with a small amount, so will probably use that. I worry a little about about how much to apply - says only a very small drop. Also worry about the weight, but it says it is fine. :)

Regarding pictures, yeah, I guess I should figure out how to use Photobucket.

It could be some sort of air duct type thing. I have a circular tube that is screwed on the side of my case cover that is directly over the CPU to help it to pull cool air from outside of the case instead of inside the case. That's my guess...

Lol....cable management???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom