Gaming build - trying to keep it around $800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of the advice! After reading this and some other forum posts, and doing a bit more research, I have decided on the following:

Phenom ii x4 965BE on a Asus M4A88TD-V
8gb (2x4) G.SKILL Ripjaws pc1333 (was just going to get 4gb, but this was on sale at Newegg today for just $59.99! Figured there's no such thing as too much RAM, so why not??)
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Antec EarthWatts 650w (the "green" aspect appealed to my wife and got her off my back a bit... lol!)

The only question I have now is... Spinpoint F3 or Caviar Black? I've read a ton on it, and can't seem to get a definitive answer... it seems to be a matter of WD's stellar reliability vs. the Spinpoint's outstanding performance for the price... can anyone help me make this last decision??
Also, is there any benefit to getting another small, inexpensive (maybe Caviar Blue) SATA drive to use just for OS/system files? I've seen that using an SSD for this is a great idea, but I cannot afford one of those right now...

Python is right mate, get a radeon GPU. But don't worry, Nvidia GPUs will also work, but I think the radeon ones are more worth the money. I also have an HD6990, but you won't need that much gpu power. I suggest a HD6870 from AMD, or a GTX560Ti from Nvidia.

Note: The "green" antec power supply does not come with a power cable. That's the main reason it's "green." It's intended for replacements or upgrades, not a new rig. I suggest getting either a different PSU or getting a power cable, if you don't already have one that is...

I vote Caviar Black, because I like WD better than Seagate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom