Help making a build for a gaming rig around $800-$1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Clockworks

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I put up a thread here a about a week back and its kinda ran dry. So I just thought I'd make another and ask for someone to help me make a build for a gaming desktop for 800$-1000$. I'd mostly use it for WoW, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and just other big RTS/MMO games. I go console for shooters and more action oriented games. I'm thinking 2 23" screens. Possibly 3 but I doubt it.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (superclocked version was cheaper than regular)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives

Total (approx. w/ shipping): $1,035.86
With $20 of mail-in rebates, which leaves you about $15 over your budget...if you want to slim that down a bit you can:

1) Get the regular i5-2600 instead of the k version if you KNOW you will not overclock
2) Get a regular DVD Burner if you know you're not playing any Blu-ray disks
3) Get a smaller hard drive...I know I won't fill up 1tb, but it seems to be what everyone else is buying...
4) Get a cheaper case, but make sure it will fit that graphics card. I picked the HAF case because it has great cooling and it has lots of space.

Very nice build, id go with that, its a good rig, if you are looking to cut a bit of cost you could go for a WD Caviar Green i know that sometimes cuts the price or any other thing that Night Fox said.

That does look nice. This will be my first build so I'm very excited for it. The only thing I'm curious about is the Processor and the case. I've really wanted to get my hands on one of the antec cases. The 900 and 1200 looks awesome. Plus I'm wanting to go with blue everything. Alright got a Razer mouse so I was thinking about putting blue lighting in the case as well. Why a i5 Processor instead of an i7?

budget busting mostly, and the i5-2500K is a very good processor, and if you can find an antec case that you like and is big enough to fit your GPU and everything else in it, and is within your budget then go for it, just make sure everything fits, I made the mistake of buying a case without making sure ... when I was starting and it is very very unpleasant to say the least lol.

Well, with a budget max of $1000, an i7 is difficult to fit in there. Plus, if its for games, 4-cores is more than enough. The additional 4 cores that you get through the hyper-threading of the i7 don't really help much for games because most don't utilize more than 2-4 cores. If you wanted an antec case, the 900 is probably the best for you budget. Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Also, if you wanted a blue theme, you could get this memory (same thing except it's got blue heatsinks): Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

That comes to $1,034.87, and after mail-in rebates, $1,004.87 (including shipping).

Night Fox you are awesome. Do you think that everything would fit into that case? Also, does it case already come with the blue lighting?

Everything will fit into that case. Antec's website says it can fit a graphics that is 16" long by removing one hard drive cage, which shouldn't be a problem since there are multiple. So what I'd do is try to fit the card in there and if it turns out to be too long, then take out the hard drive cage and you're all set. The blue lights are on the fans, so yes, it comes with it. I personally find the lights annoying, but that's just me...I believe there is an on/off switch on there, if not, you can always replace the fans with regular ones if you end up not liking the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom