New Rig Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all the parts arrived and most of the stuff seems straight-forward, but I must say given this is my first build, the motherboard connections will take some learning. Regarding the CPU cooling fan recommended below, is the Noctua compatible with the suggested LGA1155 motherboard and CPU? Per the Newegg site it only shows compatibility with Intel socket LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA775, but the Noctua site shows that it is compatible with the Asus P8P67Pro, so I'm not sure what the case is. I hope I'm not looking at something correctly, as I'd hate to have to pay for return shipping, and 15% restocking fee, not to mention having to wait for the new part before assembling the computer. I suppose I could just go with stock cooling as I'm not planning to overclock, at least initially.

Also, according to the Noctua site at http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en, the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory is not compatible with the NH-D14 cooler, presumably because of the height of the memory. Again, if I'm looking at this wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for the clarifications

The stock cooler should be fine if you're not overclocking...especially in the HAF case since it has such good cooling. I do recommend overclocking the 2600k...some have got it to 5ghz...I recommend these two coolers:
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler (water cooling)

These parts are all compatible (I just double checked). :)

I noticed a link on that page you posted, showing how to make it work with the NH-D14 cooler (unless I'm wrong, which is highly possible). Check it out here. They either suggest you move or completely remove the outer fan on the NH-D14. Hopefully that helps!

Also, let us all know how it works out for you! I plan on starting a new build and will most likely be using the parts that have been suggested to you earlier in this thread.

Cool. I was hoping that was the case. The Newegg compatibility list was apparently incomplete. I still have to figure out whether the memory will fit. Looks like the NH-D14 allows for 44 mm of RAM clearance, compared to the Corsair Vengeance height of 52.5 mm, so will likely need to do something, unless the two memory slots I plan to use are clear of the cooling fan. From a quick look I might be able to just adjust the outside fan upward a little to clear the RAM (thanks Anime_Dude07 for the link to that site).

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what the plastic box-like thing is that is attached to the internal drive bays on the HAF 932 with two thumb screws? The manual doesn't indicate. Actually, I'm finding out that most of the manuals for all the components are fairly brief and clearly made for more advanced users. I'm still trying to figure out what all the extra cables/pins, etc are that come with the motherboard.

Another minor question related to the HAF 932. The motherboard says it is an ATI form factor, and the diagram on the inside of the HAF says to use the following screw holes for the risers: ABCDEFMNO. However, I can't seem to find the "D" hole and instead it looks like I would need to use ABCEFGMNO. That is fine, but was just curious if that was a mistake on Coolmaster's part or mine.

Quick update. Unless I'm missing something, the Corsair Vengeance RAM doesn't appear to fit with the NH-D14 cooling fan. Even if I take off the outer fan, the metal radiator extends just far enough to interfere with the RAM. Doesn't matter which way I orient the cooling fan - same result. So, I will likely return the NH-D14 and maybe go with the water cooling recommendation, as it has a much smaller footprint. Or, maybe just swap out the RAM for something with a lower profile. If anyone can suggest other compatible RAM I'd appreciate it. Looks like from http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en, that G.skill ripsaw is compatible with the cooling fan, but not sure which is best/compatible with my motherboard, etc.

Again, if I am missing something, please let me know. Maybe someone else has gotten this setup to work and can give me suggestions.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions, especially if they are simple ones. I have everything put together and am just waiting for a storm to pass before trying to start it up. Here are a few more questions I ran into while assembling. I'm going with the stock cpu cooling fan for now and won't overclock until I figure out whether the NH-D14 will fit with the corsair memory.

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives --- Do I plug into 6gb/s or 3gb/s controller in the motherboard? I looked on the LG web site and didn't see any specification related to that.

What is difference between Intel and Marvell Sata controllers? I have both my ssd and ata drives plugged into the Intel 6gb/s controllers currently.

The GTX580 takes up three slots. Any best placement for this card from a cooling perspective or other perspective? If you are covering a slot you need in the future, I suppose it is easy enough to move it. Any placement seems to cover up the SATA controller slots, making it more difficult to get to, but only a minor inconvenience.

Thanks again

I don't believe any CD Drive has been made specifically for SATA III (6gb/s) yet, so I'd plug it into the SATA II (3gb/s) for now. As for the Intel and Marvell Sata controllers...not sure what the difference is other than they have different controllers...my guess is one supports RAID and one doesn't...but that shouldn't matter because you're not using RAID configurations at the moment. I believe there's only one option to put the card; the first pcie-x16 slot.

...the Corsair Vengeance RAM doesn't appear to fit with the NH-D14 cooling fan. Even if I take off the outer fan, the metal radiator extends just far enough to interfere with the RAM. Doesn't matter which way I orient the cooling fan - same result.

I'm sorry to hear that.. I was really hoping it would work too. T_T
There are a number of memory options that are compatible with the NH-D14, but as far as what's your best option goes, you'd have to get that from someone else. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in that respect. I've been out of commission so to speak for almost a year now, so most of the new components since then are all news to me.

***EDIT***
It looks to me like G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL will work with the NH-D14 and look very similar if not the same as the CORSAIR set (aside from the manufacturer being different). They have the same timing, latency, size... unless I'm wrong and there's something I didn't see. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

Yeah, it looks like the G.Skill Ripsaws are 40 mm, so less than the maximum of 44 mm allowed by the NH-D14. Would be easier for me to swap the memory than the cooling fan from a shipping perspective, I imagine. It also looks very similar to the Corsair in terms of price and compatibility with the motherboard.

Also, the computer is built now and is working great. The CPU temp with the stock cooler are around 32c idle and up to 50c while gaming, so probably would be fine if I never overclock, but might as well install the NH-D14 anyway just in case I do decide to later.

The only problem I'm having so far with the rig is the keyboard (the Razor Lycosa) will lock up sometimes. It has happened fairly frequently, so it worries me a bit.

Update on the Razor Lycosa. Apparently my spacebar goes goofy every so often and repeats endlessly unless I reboot (maybe i can try unplugging and replugging also - haven't tried that yet). I did some research and others also have been having this same issue. Will likely try to troubleshoot with Razor first and if not resolved, do a defective RMA with Newegg and either swap out for a new one or consider perhaps a different model (G15 or something like it). It is really troublesome when doing raids with a group in Wow and you only have the use of your mouse. I'll need to probably use an old keyboard for raiding until I get this figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom