Please help me to find a price for a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaulGuy

Beta member
Hey Guys,

Well it's time that I replace my desktop, so I'd like to build one.

However, it has been years since I last checked on computer parts and the latest performance specs, and it has been difficult to gauge a price. My price window is between $700-1500+ (+ If strongly recommended...).

Here's where I am at. I got some questions, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I want a middle of the road pc, and I plan to upgrade it every couple of years or so as needed. Best value for the money, but capable.

Should I start with a very good motherboard and processor? Since they would be most difficult and hazardous to upgrade later?

I play some games, most notably the TW games and the upcoming TES V Skyrim game. Top end graphics are not important for me. Moderate to above moderate is fine for me.

I also plan to set up a home recording studio with this unit (cost not included in the above price). I shouldn't need a sound card, because I will have an audio interface and a soundboard. Same with speakers, since I will be using studio monitors.

I may plan to learn some programming or animation work later, but I am a complete novice, so it may not make any difference right now anyways.

Would I need either a i5 or an i7 processor, at least 1 TB HDD, and at least 8 GB of fast RAM? Or what would you suggest?

I would also like to have a quiet machine, so there won't be a computer fan sound during recordings :D

I want to use the display as a TV and be able to play console games on it. Would it be more practical to just get a capable 26inch LCD TV or a regular monitor with a TV Tuner?

What would be a good price for what I am looking for?

Thank you!

- LesPaulGuy

Newegg.com - NZXT H2 H2-001-WT White Steel / Plastic Classic Silent ATX Mid Tower Chassis

I remembered this from an anandtech review. AnandTech - NZXT H2: Not Quite Quiet The case has noise dampeners...not sure how it compares with other cases.

I would get an i7 2600k if you're doing audio/animation work...the hyperthreading will help.
I also suggest a SSD, which will greatly increase overall performance...probably an OCZ 120gb Vertex 3.
For graphics, I don't know what those games require...and I'm on a crappy internet connection at the moment otherwise I would look them up...but I would go with either a GTX 550ti or a GTX 560ti.

Thanks for your reply.

I fear you may be right. I've read further and it's recommended to go for the six-core and have a SSD for audio encoding. I am still working on my list, I will post it later.

6 core is more for audio and video production. gaming wise, quad core is the new thing. SSD's help start everything faster and is really really fast, but it is new technology so everything is expensive. The typical price range of people are from 800~1200 (dollars).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom