Need advice on a new computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverik315

Beta member
Hello there, I am kind of a noob at computer building and this is my first major computer project. Im trying to build a computer for under about $600 and i just want to show you guys my setup and see what you think. I intend for this computer to be a everyday computer but also a gaming computer that can handle modern games at decent settings.

Setup:

Case: HAF 912
CPU: i3 2100
Mobo: MSI PH67S-C43
PSU: Antec BP550
RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB
HDD: Spinpoint F3 1TB
GPU: GTX 460 768mb
OD: SAMSUNG Combo Drive

I would like to hear your opinions on this build and please suggest any changes that should be made.

a single i3? I would go dual core i5s. or take a step back and do dual core 2.
Definitely do not go for Core 2 Duo. Either go for a 2nd-gen i3 or an i5.

Agreed on the hard drive, unless you think you'll need more than 500GB.

I wouldn't use the i3 unless you're just using the computer to go on the internet and use basic programs like microsoft word (or any of the other office programs). If you're tight on money, head down the AMD route, cheap CPU's that do just as much as the intel one's (okay, maybe not as good as the quad core i7 (sandy bridge), but the AMD phenom II X4 can take almost anything you throw at it) As for RAM I would look into G. Skill if you're going to OC (over clock) anything, but if not, mushkin is a very reliable brand (I'm using their 8GB DDR3 RAM).

You know the 2nd-gen i3s are about on par with a Phenom II X4, right? Except ofc in places where 4 cores is better than two (which is still not nearly as many places as it should be).

Plus the 2nd-gen i3s (or at least the ones I've looked at) have hyper-threading so they do have "4 cores" as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom