Suggestions for Cleaning (Air Duster Type Deal) Plus Other Random Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

So a couple months ago I bought a couple cans of Memorex AirDuster cans and they have worked well for the most part. They've lasted a while but they are starting to run out and they are out of stock on Newegg and it says they've been deactivated. I would honestly prefer to get a small compressed air gun like maybe some of you have seen in movies or whatever. Very small hand held one that can easily fit into the tight spots within a desktop or laptop. If there anything like that than I'd be fine with going with another AirDuster can as long as it is safe on electronics because I know some aren't.

I guess a couple suggestions for both would be awesome.

Also what is the best way to actually go about cleaning a laptop. I'm sorry I know that is a pretty stupid question but basically all I do right now is make sure to wipe any dust that might accumulate with a lightly damp paper towel and use the Air Dusters to spray into the keyboard, ports, and other openings within the laptop. Is that the best way to go about doing it?

Oh and one final thing I've decided to learn how to fix broken PS3s with the dreaded YLOD or Yellow Light of Death. Once you actually get the thing taken apart it is very easy to do but of course they make it as difficult as possible to open in the first place. I'd like to think about doing the same for XBox360's but I'm not sure if the RROD (Red Ring of Death) is caused by the CPUs of the systems becoming loose or disconnected whatever you want to call it I guess not making solid contact because of the crap job Sony and Microsoft did. Do most XBox360s with the Red Ring of Death just need a Reflow much like a PS3 does? Or is it much different. Also for anyone that has taken apart an XBox360 if you could give me a list of the tools I'd need to actually get it opened it'd be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I have one more dumb question. So I know the importance of Thermal Paste, Grease, or whatever you want to call it. Its been a major cause of all the YLOD and RROD that the PS3s and XBox360s have had happen to them. But to the stupid question what is the best utensil to actually do the spreading of the thermal paste with? Are there any specific tools that are very good for it out there to buy? With my previous two builds I just used an old credit card which seemed to do okay. Any suggestions there are appreciated.

Finally, I am considering changing my CPU Fan to something new but would really prefer not to have to take the motherboard completely out of the tower. Is it usually fairly easy to mount the CPU Fan once the motherboard has been installed into the desktop tower itself. I've always put it on while it was still outside of the tower itself. And last last dumb question but how often is it suggested to redo thermal paste?

Thank you all again so much. I don't know where I'd be without everyone's help here. Its extremely appreciated.

Are there any very good video tutorials of close-ups of how exactly it should look as far as how thin it should be. I know its supposed to be very thin to where you can almost see through it but video guides always help me learn better.

Well I think I can answer one of your questions. If you would be using an air compressor with a filter on the line it would be fine I believe. Otherwise there can be water in the line. I am not 100% sure of this so you may want confirmation from another member.

Well I think I can answer one of your questions. If you would be using an air compressor with a filter on the line it would be fine I believe. Otherwise there can be water in the line. I am not 100% sure of this so you may want confirmation from another member.
We've had a thread with a lot of good suggestions before but its been too long to look. I use a >50PSI compressor "unfiltered" on my machine and I have yet to have problems and it gets the job done well.

Best way to clean a laptop? Don't blow the vents out if you don't do it regularly. The dust will usually jam the fan and burn the fan out. Best method is to literally take it apart, and pull the thick layer of dust off and brush the fins and fan out.

If you clean the vents once a week, backwards using a vacuum you should be OK. I have been looking at making an adjustable bed a laptop can sit on, and the bottom will seal to, hook a vacuum to the underside, and create a large negative pressure, then take compressed dry air and blow out the vents backwards once a month. It just becomes risky if not done on a regular basis.

Also, with MOST high quality thermal pastes, you don't need to spread them out on the die, unless it is a LARGE die, then you need to do some spreading. Otherwise, the weight and force of the heatsink will spread the paste just fine.

Yeah.. I use an industrial size air compressor on mine (we have a workshop filled with tools and car parts and whatnot...) and I've never had a problem. Thing blows dust out and makes it look like a dust storm though :tongue:

I use a >50PSI compressor "unfiltered" on my machine and I have yet to have problems and it gets the job done well.

Yeah.. I use an industrial size air compressor on mine (we have a workshop filled with tools and car parts and whatnot...) and I've never had a problem. Thing blows dust out and makes it look like a dust storm though :tongue:

I stand corrected.

A filter is separate from a drier, some people have a drier, or keep the tank drained of water. Compressors always have an intake filter to keep from damaging the pump.

Suggestions for computer cleaning air compressor (non-can) & a few other ?s.

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted but I always check in. Still my favorite Computer/Tech Forum on the net. Anyways, I have a few questions and would like some help from you fine folks here who have helped me so much in the past with suggestions.

First off, as the title states does anyone have a suggestion for a good computer cleaning air compressor? I have a couple of the Memorex Canned Air ones and they are safe for electronics for the most part but still not quite what I'm looking for. I basically just want a small air compressor that will be able to easily clear dust from within desktops, gaming consoles, etc. Any help there is greatly appreciated.

Second, I just kind of felt like playing around a little bit and am dual booting Windows 7's. One off of my SSD and the other off my WD Black Caviar HDD. Basically, just did it so I could see and know that it works. My question about this is though when you are prompted at the beginning of boot-up and it asks which OS you want to load they both are labeled "Windows 7." Which I know duh, that is to be expected but it doesn't tell me which each of the different versions are on. So I was wondering if it is possible to change the names of those or something? Or do they simply have to stay Windows 7.

Lastly, I am a college student and needed a little part-time job so lately I have been fixing Refurbishing XBox 360's (w/ RROD) and Playstation 3's (w/ YLOD). Also, I am offering as part of my service to build custom computers for people that want a powerful one but don't have the time, patience, knowledge, etc to do it on there own. My question here is what would you guys consider a fair price on building a custom computer for someone? I know it will vary a bit of cost of parts and some possibly be more difficult than others but if you had a good estimate, Flat-Rate price I could start it'd be HUGELY appreciated. Also, if anyone else here Refurbishes XBox 360s and/or Playstation 3s how much would you feel is a fair price to charge to have it repaired?

I just don't want to go making people spend too much or asking for much less than I should be for those 3 cases above (XBox 360 & PS3s Repairs -- Custom Computer Building).

I think that is it for now. Thank you all again in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom