thinking of building my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Windows 7 reinstall yesterday. That went relatively smoothly, just needed drivers for the network card for some reason, but when I found the dell drivers disc I was good to go.

Same results as before, though the FPS did go up a bit by checking something do with with OpenGL in CCC.

Doing the Windows rating thing, I get 7.9 of graphics. Everything is 7.6 and up except disk data transfer rate, which was at 5.9 and brought the score down. The hard drive speed wont effect SecondLife though, so I dont think it would be that. It could just be SecondLife is not friendly with ATI.

Not going to dump anymore money on graphics cards to try out the Nvidia, already on my 3rd video card, set now though, but going to poll people and see what they are using and what FPS they are getting.

yeah because you have the specs for a really fast pc especially in a small game like Secondlife so id ask around too

Secondlife is not really that small of a game. Its loaded with scripts and textures and avatars that are pretty eye popping and take some serious horsepower to run at full graphic quality. It many ways the avatars, the good ones look better then in any other video game.

It is nice to have a clean install of windows, got rid of the dell stuff that came on the computer and popped up now and then do to things I didnt want it to do.

Looking back now I would definitely do a build from scratch rather then making this small dell case work with what I have put in it, but in the end it does work and is still a fast computer!

59c937e8.jpg

so are you going to end up building a new one, or you gonna work with the dell?

I see no point now building a new one as spec wise this computer is a fast one, and I am not planning on over clocking so I dont need the space cooling wise.

Eventually I will give it a go, but I think I am done for this year at least, maybe next year I will start from scratch and build something, but just not interested in dropping more money when I really don't need it and probably wont gain a lot of speed, if any.

I was talking to a few people in SecondLife who are getting some really high FPS, like 80-100fps and they all seem to be using Nvidea cards. I think I am going to pick one up tonight and see if there is an improvement. I am looking at 2 cards, they are similar and the price difference is small, not sure if its worth a bit more for #2

#1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1460-KR) nVidia GeForce GT 560 Chipset(810MHz) 1024MB DDR5 Memory(4008MHz)
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=038937

#2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB Superclocked GDDR5 (01G-P3-1463-KR) nVidia GeForce GT 560 Chipset(850MHz) 1024MB DDR5 Memory(4104MHz)
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=038942

The second one would work better, i think, since it is already overclocked.
It seem like that is the only difference between the two.
And the GTX 560 is a good card, it is the one I want to upgrade to.

The second one would work better, i think, since it is already overclocked.
It seem like that is the only difference between the two.
And the GTX 560 is a good card, it is the one I want to upgrade to.

I keep looking at different things. So looking at the 560 ti, not the 560.

The super clocked one is cheaper for some reason.

SUPERCLOCKED - $224.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1567-AR) nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti Chipset(900MHz) 1024MB GDDR5 Memory(4212MHz) Dual-DVI/MIni-HDMI PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

$229.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1561-AR) nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Chipset 1GB DDR5 Dual Display DVI-I/Mini-HDMI PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

Not sure what the difference is or why the superclocked is different, but going to pick that one up on my way home to work, then whatever works best, the rest of the cards I have blown money on will be up on kijiji lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom