Memory Upgrade - eMachines W3506

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gervahlt

Solid State Member
I know this is an ancient system, but I've been using it for a file server for a couple of years now and want to add more memory to it.

It currently has 512mb of pc4200 ram in a single stick. According to eMachines' site, the motherboard should be able to support up to 2gb of ram using 2 sticks. So, being the cheap miser that I am, I looked for some memory that would work and found that the cheapest wasn't pc4200, but rather pc5400. Fortunately, according to all the support forums, memory manufacturer websites, and wikipedia, ddr2 will simply run at the slower speed.

However, when my new memory arrived, I failed to get the computer to post. Since the computer still posted fine with the old memory (in either slot), and it failed to post with either stick (separate or together) with the new, I figured the ram was DOA...so I sent it back. I just got my replacement ram with the same result: no post. Any thoughts on what I could do here?

Note: the motherboard is listed as an E210882, however that's worthless as the non-eMachines' version has four (dual-channel) memory slots available to it, whereas this one only has two (single-channel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom