Oh Crap...Chip Getting Hott! What To Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHOA! I have the same problem. My CPU temp. sensor says that I am running at an average of 60 degrees celcius AT IDLE! And that's when it is not overclocked. False readings maybe? Oh yes, and I have updated my BIOS, and the temp. got higher! Unbelievable...

-Dan The Man

Ive had this problem countless times with customers and friends.

Most people with heat problems are using a AMD chip but in your case our using a top notch pentium proccesor.

Make sure that your heatsink has heat tranparency jell on the bottom of it, next check that your fan isnt running on the slow side.
If all checks well make sure you have enough case fans(2 or more),if you dont this can lead to extreme heat build up and take a toll on all of your hardware. If you dont have 2 or more fans dont go through all the trouble buying a new case re-installing the hardware etc. Heres what you do if you dont have 2 or more case fans--- Go to www.xoxide.com and there should be a side category on your left hand side, then one of them should say "case fans" click on that then it should say a bunch of diffrent fans,scroll down, and click on "miscilaneous fans" now it will show a range of pci port fans---what these fans do is instead of just blowing on things they suck all the hot air out of your case/computer and blow it out the back. Theese fans are inexpensive ($7-$12) and work very well. E-mail me and let me now how it goes at amdboy@comcast.net

OIDanTheManIO said:
WHOA! I have the same problem. My CPU temp. sensor says that I am running at an average of 60 degrees celcius AT IDLE! And that's when it is not overclocked. False readings maybe? Oh yes, and I have updated my BIOS, and the temp. got higher! Unbelievable...

-Dan The Man

Wow lol...the program says about 55 or a little low at idle...but in BIOS it's a little more...like 60. I think I've seen it at almost 70 in BIOS...and currently the program I'm using says 57. I think it's a matter of that gell....I literally don't have on there...just a tiny bit.

What did you do to fix the problem then? lol

i'd suggest taking the thermal pad off and putting some arctic silver 5. if u need instructionz, u can get them from these gurus.

Get a water cooling system :)
Or you can open up your box for better ventilation...
I also tried stickin it out into the cold :D right into the snow.... It increased the preformance by so much!

To put on the thermal compound (arctic silver 5) you want to remove the heatsink, and scrap off the thermal compound that was used orginally by the manufacture. You can do this with a credit card, or something similar! If worse comes to worse you can run a hair-dryer over it for just a moment to heat it up, which may make it easier to remove the compound, just a moment though. After all of the compound is removed. DON'T go crazy with the compound, just a small dot. Smaller than a pea. You want to spread this it either using your finger (protected by a rubber glove) or a credit card, or something along these lines. You want a PAPER thin layer. Litterally... using more will come back and bite you right in the a$$. GL!

Alright...thanks for the advice everyone! I'll see about getting some Arctic Silver 5 soon. Also...I've opened the sides of my case for now...that has helped a little bit.

Thanks Again :)

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom