Help on upgrading an intel duo core processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vykan12

Beta member
I'm looking to upgrade my computer's processor to something that runs at least 3 GHz. Here are my computer specs in more detail:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System type: 32 bit
Edition: Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2

Will I be able to simply replace my current processor with another core 2 duo (such as the E8400)? Or will I have to replace my motherboard, RAM, etc?

Also, is there any chance I could get my processor to overclock? This is a Dell PC, not custom or anything.

If it isn't already apparent, I'm not a very tech savvy guy, so I'm hoping someone will bear with me.

Replacing your CPU is a possibility, but it would be a waste of time/money. To move forward, though, will require replacing your CPU and motherboard and possibly your RAM. Don't think in GHz, though, as the GHz wars were a marketing ploy Intel used to push the P4 line; the Core line onward are based off of the P3 architecture as Intel abandoned the P4 space heaters.

Since it is a Dell you are out of luck for overclocking. Pre-builts are locked so it can't be done.

I am guessing you are using the onboard graphics that came in your computer.

To reuse the most from your current computer you can go with a AM3/AM2+/AM2 motherboard that uses DDR2 RAM. here is a combo with a good board and a AMD Phenom II x4 945 for $165 plus shipping:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom