thinking of building my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn't seem to say anything about a fan being included, but they usually come with the cpu, you might want to call the Canada Computer store you plan on going to or just the central phone system and ask them, by giving them the product number.

And if you wanted you could go and purchase a 3rd party cooler, but you will need to install it yourself, and that is very useful if you will want to overclock your CPU later on but if you are not planning anything like that, the stock coolers do a good job, i run my i5 760 on its stock cooler and everything is fine and dandy.

I am going to ask them, probably going to pick up the GPU tomorrow, and piece by piece get things ready before I put the Dell back to stock and put it on kijiji for sale.

that sounds good man, thats what i did, pieced together the system over about 6-8 months, slowly but surely and then you wipe clean your old system and sell it

Well I wont be doing it as slow as that lol plan to do it all in the next week or 2. Usually when I get something in mind I move pretty quick. There is not much on this machine, barely used it, just been playing secondlife and the crysis demo. My main use machines are all Macs. I figure I can probably get $500 or so for my Dell XPS 8300, its barely 2 months old and has some decent specs, i7, 6 gigs of ram, 1 T hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5. Paid $900 before taxes, I know I will take a hit, but I am ok with that.

I priced out the total cost of the machine with the latest specs and it comes to around $1101.91 and thats a much better computer then what I have now, and about the same price when you factor in I upgraded the video card to a 5850 and the PSU to a 700 W one.

yeah you will almost always end up taking a hit when it comes to reselling things pc related, unless you build rig, stress test them and then sell em as a package but apart from that you will usually take a hit.
when it comes to that machine, are you going to sell without the PSU?
because if you are going to do that might as well try to sell it for parts i wager

yeah you will almost always end up taking a hit when it comes to reselling things pc related, unless you build rig, stress test them and then sell em as a package but apart from that you will usually take a hit.
when it comes to that machine, are you going to sell without the PSU?
because if you are going to do that might as well try to sell it for parts i wager

I am ok with the hit, I knew that going into buying a PC that I would lose money. This next PC will stay put and will be the end of the line with PC's for a while. The nice thing is a PC is more upgradable, but they dont last near as long as a Mac. I have a 10 year old mac still running like new and still a competent machine for most peoples day to day use.

I have the original PSU, so going to put it back together just as it came from Dell, then do a clean install of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and put it up for sale. I imagine I will have all the parts save for the case for the weekend, the case I will order next week and put it together sometime next week.

I was actually able to get the 6970 in my Dell XPS, it did fit. Though not sure why I dont notice any real improvements over the 5850 I had in there before. Not sure if I am going to build now that I was able to fit this in, just need to figure out why FPS suck in SecondLife. Some people I talk to are getting 100fps

depends what the game uses the most, i played a game that depended more on the CPU for quality, but i think second life should benefit from a GPU update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom