thinking of building my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderdome

Baseband Member
Well I am thinking of selling my less then 1 month old dell I was playing with and give building a shot.

This is what I am looking getting right now. Open to suggestions obviously as this is my first build ever.

Motherboard:
ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s
Buy the ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca

Ram
Corsair DDR3, 2000MHz 6GB (3x2GB) DIMM, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24 1T, XMS3 with Classic Heat Spreader, Supports Core i7
Corsair DDR3, 2000MHz 6GB (3x2GB) DIMM, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24 1T, XMS3 with Classic Heat Spreader, Supports Core i7 (CMX6GX3M3A2000C9) | Canada Computers

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.30 GHz, Socket H2
Buy the Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core Unlocked CPU at TigerDirect.ca

GPU
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 6970 Chipset 2GB GDDR5 Memory Dual DVI /HDMI/2xMini Display Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 6970 Chipset 2GB GDDR5 Memory Dual DVI /HDMI/2xMini Display Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

Case
NZXT M59 Classic Series Mid Tower Black Interior Case | Canada Computers

I have a power supply I put in my Dell already, I would take that out, a 700W OCZ Modxstream.

I have the OS, LED and all the rest.

Well i can tell you right now that the CPU and the mobo don't have the same socket so it won't work.
You need a motherboard with a LGA1155 socket to use second generation processors.
The rest seems good.

Well i can tell you right now that the CPU and the mobo don't have the same socket so it won't work.
You need a motherboard with a LGA1155 socket to use second generation processors.
The rest seems good.

Thanks, but thats basically latin to me lol Suggestions on a motherboard that will work with the processor?

Also, is putting a processor in place on a motherboard like plug and play? Or is there more to it then that?

Ok so I changed the build and plan on buying locally which is actually cheaper then what I had listed before.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.30Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 32nm
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.30Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 32nm (Retail Boxed) (BX80623I52500K) | Canada Computers

Motherboard:
Asus P8P67 (Rev. 3.0) Socket 1155 Intel P67 Chipset CrossfireX Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 GigaLAN 8-CH High Definition Audio 4x SATA 6.0Gb/s 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s 4x USB 3.0 ATX
Asus P8P67 (Rev. 3.0) Socket 1155 Intel P67 Chipset CrossfireX Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 GigaLAN 8-CH High Definition Audio 4x SATA 6.0Gb/s 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s 4x USB 3.0 ATX | Canada Computers

Ram:
Corsair DDR3, 2000MHz 6GB (3x2GB) DIMM, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24 1T, XMS3 with Classic Heat Spreader, Supports Core i7
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_614&item_id=032289

GPU:
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 6970 Chipset 2GB GDDR5 Memory Dual DVI /HDMI/2xMini Display Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=035513

Case
NZXT M59 Classic Series Mid Tower Black Interior Case | Canada Computers

Do cases come with the fans I need? Or is that something else I need to buy as well? How do the fans work? Do they have to be connected to the motherboard or is there something else that monitors the temperature to know when to go on?

Would a mid size case be to small for a gpu like the 6970? Should I be looking at a full size case instead?

Nice build, everything seems like it would work together now, but if i were you i would go and buy slightly slower RAM but get more of it since it is so cheap these days.

G.SKILL Sniper Series DDR3 1866MHz (PC3-14900) 8GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR) | Canada Computers

Something like this maybe.
But then again that is just me, 6 GB is great and you don't need much more than that.
Although you might want to note the RAM limitations of your OS, since WinXP 32bit only see's 4GB of RAM, but any 64bit Windows should be good

I use Windows 64 bit, well whenever I use Windows. I am a Mac guy, so this is a completely new world to me, at least building is. Started with computers using dos 3.1, 95, 98 and xp then switched to mac and have been using it since the inception of OS 10.0.

I am thinking of getting a full size case so I dont have issues with space and things are not cramped. The thing I dont understand is the fans and how those work with the rest of the computer, knowing when to come on.

This is the case I think I will get, the one I listed previous was a mid size case and not in stock in my area.
Newegg.ca - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Your case seems to come with 1 fan, so if you decide to go with the RAM i suggested, you could use some of the money to buy some 120mm case fans, which you can mount to the front of your case to draw cool air in, or to the back of your case to push hot air out.
And fans do connect either to the motherboard or directly to your power supply, and they turn on as soon as you power up your build.

When it comes to your GPU, there shouldn't be a problem for it to physically fit in your case, it is 9.8 inches long and you will have give or take 13 - 14 inches to play with, what would be more of a concern is that the GPU might block one of the PCI slots on your motherboard but that is normal, thats what is going on with my GPU in my rig

It is a nice case, and you do have two huge fans on it, so if you have the cash and the room and you would like to expand later on i would go with that.
I have a full tower case and i really love it, lots of room and fans and eventually i want to run everything from that rig with virtual machines so i have plenty of room for additional hard drives

Your case seems to come with 1 fan, so if you decide to go with the RAM i suggested, you could use some of the money to buy some 120mm case fans, which you can mount to the front of your case to draw cool air in, or to the back of your case to push hot air out.
And fans do connect either to the motherboard or directly to your power supply, and they turn on as soon as you power up your build.

When it comes to your GPU, there shouldn't be a problem for it to physically fit in your case, it is 9.8 inches long and you will have give or take 13 - 14 inches to play with, what would be more of a concern is that the GPU might block one of the PCI slots on your motherboard but that is normal, thats what is going on with my GPU in my rig

The case I posted in my last post has 2 fans:
Special feature:
2pcs enormous blue LED 250 mm fans
VR fan speed control with on/off switch
Blue LED illumination
Excellent cooling solution
Tool-less clips & rails for easy installation

Cooling system:
Xclio twin 25cm cooling fan side panel (5pcs blue LED lighting)
Fan 01. – targeting motherboard, AGP and memory ram module
Fan 02. – targeting 3.5" & 5.25" bay (hard drive, CD/DVD ROM & burner)

The GPU is 11.3" long, but that should be no problem with a full size case I would imagine, or no one would be able to use the sucker!

It doesnt say anything with the CPU I posted, but does that come with a fan or cooler or whatever it needs as well? Or is that something else I need ontop of all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom