Help with buying a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse972

Solid State Member
I'm currently in the market for a new computer and would like to get some advice on good ones to buy, where to buy from etc. My current price range is $600. The computer is going to be multi-media while also being able to play games, however I do not want it to be solely a gaming computer. The video games I will be playing do not have amazing graphics and thus I do not really need a great video card. In a nut shell, I would like a fast, rather powerful computer to be able to play simple games like WoW and Minecraft, while also being able to run Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop well. I have found a few that look alright and fit my price range and would like you guys to take a look and tell me what you think. I would appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.

Here are the specs of one of the computers
Features

Controller Type Ultra ATA
Serial ATA/300
RAID Support Yes
Aspect Ratio Not Applicable
Screen Resolution Not Applicable
Screen Size Not Included
Screen Type Not Applicable
Screen Mode Not Applicable
Touchscreen Not Applicable
Graphics Controller Manufacturer nVidia
Graphics Controller Model GeForce 7025
Graphics Memory Capacity 256 MB
Graphics Memory Accessibility Shared
Backlight Technology Not Applicable
Product Type Desktop Computer
Manufacturer Part Number GUA106
Manufacturer Website Address CyberPower PC. - Custom Built Gaming PC and Gaming Laptops
Manufacturer CyberPower, Inc
Product Model Gamer Ultra GUA106
Product Name Gamer Ultra GUA106 Desktop Computer
Brand Name CyberpowerPC
Maximum Memory 8 GB
Standard Memory 4 GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Package Contents • Gamer Ultra GUA106 Desktop Computer

Ethernet Technology Gigabit Ethernet
Weight (Approximate) 30 lb
Case Style Tower
Height 16.70"
Width 7.50"
Depth 19.30"
Optical Drive Type DVD-Writer
Optical Media Support DVD±R/±RW
Total Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB
Bus Speed Not Applicable
Processor Speed 3.20 GHz
Processor Type Athlon II X2
Processor Model 260
Processor Core Dual-core
64-bit Processing Yes
Processor Manufacturer AMD
Chipset Manufacturer nVIDIA
Chipset Model nForce 630a
QuickPath Interconnect Not Applicable
Number of Processors Support 1
Number of Processors Install 1
Hyper-Threading Not Applicable
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium
Operating System Architecture 64-bit
Standard Warranty 1 Year
Product Attributes
Chipset Manufacturer: nVIDIA
Computer Depth (inch): 19.30
Computer Height (inch): 16.70
Computer Width (inch): 7.50
Graphics Memory Technology: DDR3
Hard Drive (RPM): 7200
Maximum Memory (GB): 8
Maximum Memory Range: 4 - 15 GB
Memory (GB): 4
Memory Technology: DDR3
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Pointing Device Type: Mouse
Processor Manufacturer: AMD
Processor Model: 260
Product Model: Gamer Ultra GUA106
Weight: 30 lb

Here is a link to the computer as well.
Buy.com - CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA106 Desktop PC, AMD Athlon II X2 260 (3.20GHz), 4GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB HDD, DVD Super Multi-Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7025 (256MB), Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Here is a more expensive one.
ZT Affinity AMD Phenom II Quad 3.2GHz Desktop PC from $600 + $20 s&h

$600 for something that needs to be good for playing simple games and media work? You'd probably need to build it. You've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and OS for it right?

EDIT: Well, hm, that last one looked pretty good. What graphics card does it have? Do you know?

The card on the last link is

Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 series graphics from AMD

And yes I already have OS monitor etc. If I was going to build this thing from the ground up, could you or anyone else give me a detailed list of good parts to use? I am not the best at picking out quality parts for the right price.

Here's one that I found that is supposedly good, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Motherboard
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770
Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Intel Core i5-2400
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Total: $730

Bump? Also, if someone could review this config I would very much appreciate it.

It is a cyberpower computer, if you have never used Cyberpower just scroll down for the specs.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D9UB2

The setup looks fine to me. However I will note that you could build the same computer for less than they are quoting you.

Edit: I'm just noticing you didn't select any GPU at all? You need a GPU. I know you said you don't want to play games with high requirements but even a decent GPU is very affordable these days, and once you have it you'll be glad.

No GPU and >$700? Rip off.

There is no section for "GPU" on Cyberpower, and while I could build the system for less, unless it was substantially less I do not think it is really worth it. I will pay 50-100 for the convince of not having to put the thing together from scratch.

If you really think it is worth it, and you would like to help, you could make me a list of all the components I would need. I would like it to be as good as the computer listed above.

Yeah, you'd save over $100. How else do you expect those companies to make money other than major mark up on the labor? :)

GPU is your Graphics Processing Unit (video card).

People here would be more than happy to help you when it comes time for the build. There is also a plethora of online videos that walk you through it.

Start off by listing what parts you already have and can re-use. Then we can help you config from there.

If as you say you have a monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse. Then you're looking at needing these components:

-Case
-Power Supply (600W+ I'd say)
-Hard Disk Drive
-CPU (Processor)
-Motherboard
-Memory (RAM)
-Optical Drive(s)
-GPU (technically optional but seriously you can get a decent mid range one for under $100)

That should wrap it up. To give a fast ballpark on that... around $550-600 with medium specs. I'm not much for finding specific parts but folks here can help you with that.

Yeah, you'd save over $100. How else do you expect those companies to make money other than major mark up on the labor? :)

GPU is your Graphics Processing Unit (video card).

People here would be more than happy to help you when it comes time for the build. There is also a plethora of online videos that walk you through it.

Start off by listing what parts you already have and can re-use. Then we can help you config from there.

If as you say you have a monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse. Then you're looking at needing these components:

-Case
-Power Supply (600W+ I'd say)
-Hard Disk Drive
-CPU (Processor)
-Motherboard
-Memory (RAM)
-Optical Drive(s)
-GPU (technically optional but seriously you can get a decent mid range one for under $100)

That should wrap it up. To give a fast ballpark on that... around $550-600 with medium specs. I'm not much for finding specific parts but folks here can help you with that.

If it will actually save me $100 the i'm in. I do already have a monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse. As for the rest of the components, here's what I have found on my own.

-Case: Haven't found one yet, not sure to know how big of one I need.
-Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W
-Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
-CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
-Motherboard: Have no idea about a good one, obviously I want it to be compatible with Sandy Bridge and DDR3 ram
-Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X
-GPU: ZOTAC ION-GPU-A-E ION Graphics Processor 512MB DDR3 PCI Express x1 HDCP

EDIT:
POSSIBLE motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M LE
POSSIBLE case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total cost would be $745 not including shipping and tax. Thats only $2 cheaper than the Cyberpower one. If it only saves that much, I think it would be easier to just be the one that already comes assembled. Because not only does the one that already comes assembled have a liquid cooling system already in the price, it also has the OS (which I dont).

So in conclusion, it would cost me more to build it than it would to buy it, unless I have made an error somewhere.

Well first I wouldn't have gone with the parts you selected, plenty of places to save money in those. If your intent on getting an i5 cpu then that's about 40% of your total price.

Second I thought you said you had an OS. If not, that's an extra 100 either way (unless you use other 'means' but you wont get help for that here).

There are some Intel fan boys here that will say otherwise, but in all honesty with what you're looking to do, you don't need an i-anything. Go with Phenom and save $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom