Upgrading A Great Old Desktop Into Modern Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
With $4-600 you could build a brand new machine. What do you use this PC for? I can throw some parts together if you want to try a fresh start.

This PC is used for gaming (or will be used for gaming). I'm not looking for super advanced specs but $600 is my max (not including tax, I'll make it work). I won't need a chassis, mouse or keyboard. If you would be kind enough to create a PC using Newegg and just pass over the names, that would be amazing. As far as games go, I won't be running Crysis, I'm just looking for a rig that can run Minecraft/Terraria/CS/TF2 on close to max specs. I've heard people can do this with less then 4GB RAM.

Don't worry bud I got this. BRB

BUT for motherboard's sake I'm leaving room for a case....

Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

CPU/GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.663486

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Ok this is $472.95with $50 in rebates.
Use your old disc drive and your old hard drive or buy new ones it's your call.
The case choice is yours.
You will need a new case. This will not fit your current.

What size should the case be, or will any shown on NewEgg do the trick?
Does this take advantage of the current sound/video cards, or are they in the above links?
What would the projected performance be of a rig with those pieces?

any ATX or bigger case will do. No microATX.

The rig is good for it's price. We could squeeze more but that gives you less case wiggle room and no extra cash if you choose to get a new HD or something. There is plenty of room though for an upgrade and that motherboard is ready for the next set of AMD processors when they're released so basically this puts you into a better position. While it performs good now you have the option down the road to perform incredible.

EDIT: If you want case suggestions go ahead and ask but it mainly comes down to what do you want to look at.

Actually, would you be able to suggest a good case. If have a feeling I'd screw it up.
And on the other note, would you be able to suggest a mouse/keyboard/monitor? Don't worry about the price (I'll buy them later on down the line). I was looking at the Razers, but with the performance of the World of Warcraft Mouse I bought a year ago, they seem bad for the money. I'm making about 3 grand over the summer working, so I should be able to squeeze some upgrades in with gas money and all.

Actually, would you be able to suggest a good case. If have a feeling I'd screw it up.
And on the other note, would you be able to suggest a mouse/keyboard/monitor? Don't worry about the price (I'll buy them later on down the line). I was looking at the Razers, but with the performance of the World of Warcraft Mouse I bought a year ago, they seem bad for the money. I'm making about 3 grand over the summer working, so I should be able to squeeze some upgrades in with gas money and all.

Amazing case for the price. Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HAHAHA well I'm a Razer fanboi so I'm gonna tell you they're incredible. I have an Orochi with a Kabuto pad and the Onza Controller. I love them. While Razer can be pricey the quality is phenomenal.

For the games you listed I would say
Newegg.com - RAZER Lachesis 5600 Black 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Mouse

Newegg.com - RAZER Black Wired BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

for monitor it depends on the size your looking for.

Spent some time with the BIOS menu. Haven't found any usable info. The computer was custom created with Microsoft. The chassis is from Acer.
Some info from the Microsoft certification:

Product Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Also says: X11-45393
And: N09-01991

I have no idea how to tell what the motherboard is. Would it not be the AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+?
You really shouldn't post the Product Key for your OS on a public forum. You might want to go back and edit that post.

The bottom board is a MicroATX. It's smaller than the top board, it basically has less ram slots, less pci/pci-e slots, no cooling of the mosfets (voltage regulator circuitry), it does not support SATA 6Gb/s or USB 3.0 (the top does). Everything is compacted to make the board smaller so they tend to run hotter. Unless you need a small compact computer I won't recommend buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom