Decision, Decisions...Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapthemonkey55

Beta member
I need a new computer and was hoping you all could help me. I'm trying to decide between a Dell and an Alienware. Dell is cheaper, but Alienware is so much cooler looking, plus they are running a $500 off special right now. I've heard some horrible things about their customer service, though.
Yes, I know it would be cheaper to build my own, but I have neither the time nor the knowledge, so that isn't an option. Please help.

If you don't want to build your own, you could always get your custom built at a local computer store. You would get the quality of a self-built system, without having the intimidation of the lack of knowledge.

It's not so much lack of knowledge about what I want as to how it all fits together. I know what stuff I want and don't want in it. Mostly, though, I want a warranty in case it gets FUBAR.

in case it gets FUBAR
Cool lol, never seen anyone use FUBAR really, just used SNAFU the other day myself, how odd...maybe just to me...

Anyway, you'd be much better off with an Alienware as Dell is usually for grandmas and grandpas although yes I know you can get a custom built 'gaming PC' but then to upgrade you'll have to go through them. Whereas Alienware I think you have more options available to you. That's just my opinion

now give reasons to stay away from dell, please, i mean I know but others may not....please explain for their sake

u won't b able 2 upgrade much with a dell. u'd b off better with a custom built pc. u can just choose all d parts and get some1 2 build 1 4 u. its quite simple really. well, its your own choice. gd luck with your decision.

now give reasons to stay away from dell, please, i mean I know but others may not....please explain for their sake
I did...upgradeability is basically nonexistant with a Dell. They want it so that you have to take your machine to them to get it upgraded. They have different cases and some have different form factors of motherboards. You can get a fully customized Dell but if you ever choose to go in and rebuild the Dell it'll be damn near impossible and you'd have to get a whole new motherboard because Dell motherboards have all their garbage in it, and allow you to change practically nothing. Alienware you can choose your motherboard and be assured that they are building high end machines, whereas Dell builds both high end and low end, Alienware specifically focus's on the High end, so you'd get a better deal out of them. Aaaaand basically Dell's a money grubbing coorperation with a moron for a CEO.....you can read about his hard headedness here:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1747/

if a person is not going to do any upgrading or serious gaming then dell is fine, cuz ya get a warrenty and all.......but if you are like me I am always trying to make it faster, cleaner, cooler and meaner so I would never be able to have a dell....oooops there went my warrenty when I upgraded a stinking fan.

I think Dell's PC's are more upgradable than most big company PC's
My dad has a Dell Laptop which I replaced the hard drive on, it was easy to do so
Dell aren't all that bad IMO, although what they put in them is not what you'd call gaming hardware, except for some of the customised ones, and even they aren't very high-end compared to serious gaming machines build by the user, they are a much better PC than what the other big companies make

personally I'd build the PC myself. If you don't really want to, you can do as beedubya said and go to a local shop and get them to fo it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom