Dual SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnotu

In Runtime
HiYa, I am having trouble getting my dual gtx 560Ti setup to work. After about 10 minutes of playing a game everything freezes up. I went into the NIVIDA settings and changed into the SLI mode before hand. I might have not made the right settings but I tried several different times. When I remove one card and change back to the single card mode it seems to work just fine. I have just installed a new PSU of 850 watts. Each GPC has 2 power hook ups on the side and was wondering if both needed to be hooked to power. Also I can only get my display to work in the DVI and the VGA mode. I donot have the VGA even hooked up. I have the HDMI hooked up but cannot get it to display correctly. It will show the XP picture but not anything else. Thanks.

Yes, both power connectors on both cards need to be used.

It sounds like you may need to uninstall the drivers and re-install them with both cards installed.

One problem I think was the new PSU said it was SLI ready but did not have four connectors for the GPUs. I had to reuse some of my old wiring and found they only had five wires instead of the six. After some 'modification' I had them wired. But it is still not quite right. I preformed another clean install. The screen has not froze again but am experiencing some oddities. Like a flashing pointer that is a square box. I made adjustments both in game and the control panel but no joy. Going to take some thinking and some tinkering for me to figure this out. I will try the DriverSweeper. Thanks.

What model is your psu, I'm very surprised that a 850w psu doesn't have (4) 6-pin connectors.

That is your problem. That is not a true 850w power supply. It's only capable of producing 46A on the +12v rail, and it probably doesn't produce that much. 46 Amps is actually in the 500 to 600 watt range. A cheap power supply is the worst thing you can buy. If you could select your body parts before your born would you buy a discount heart? The power supply (heart) supplies all the power (blood) to every component in your system (cpu/brain, video/eyes, etc...), what happens to your body when it has poor circulation?

I think I have more issues than the PSU. Would that cause my system not to boot up when only one card is installed? I had to do a system restore this morning to get it to boot up. According to the specs for one card I need 30amps at 500watts. And ur right about cheap power supply units. But I do have other issues involved. According to one calculator I need a minumin of 503watts with one card and 589watts with two cards. Please bear in mind that this is an absolutely a bearbones system. Another thing is the wiring that came with the unit. I do not have the correct wiring to properly hook this up. Even tho I have two 6 pin connections on each card only five wires go to each one. There is an unused pin on the GPCs and I have none of the correct connectors for them. Did not come with the unit. So I will have to get the right wiring or break down and take the loss and go ahead and get a proper unit. And thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom