Utterly Confused ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of newer cards do not have a VGA output on them as DVI is more current, along with HDMI. The adapter attaches to a DVI out (white) and converts it to a VGA (blue). ;)

Check out Antec. They are rock solid and usually a little cheaper than most of the other top notch brands.

Looks like this:

vga-to-dvi.jpg

I think the reason you're confused is because your motherboard has integrated VGA, the card in the slot is probably something else like a modem. If you post a pic of the back of your PC we could know for sure. If you install a new video card, you'll want to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated VGA.

I think he knows that he has a current video in there. It is most likely onboard. Even in 2005, PCI video was not common. He needs a PCI-E x16 video card and a new PSU.

I think the reason you're confused is because your motherboard has integrated VGA, the card in the slot is probably something else like a modem. If you post a pic of the back of your PC we could know for sure. If you install a new video card, you'll want to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated VGA.

I read somewhere that most BIO's disable the integrated VGA by default whenever you power up with a monitor connected to an PCI-E card. But, judging on how old my system is, I'm going to assume that is false for me. And how exactly do I disable integrated VGA in BIO's?

I read somewhere that most BIO's disable the integrated VGA by default whenever you power up with a monitor connected to an PCI-E card. But, judging on how old my system is, I'm going to assume that is false for me. And how exactly do I disable integrated VGA in BIO's?

Usually you just reduce the video memory to 0, or that has been the case in those I had to turn off.

I just read that also. So, in conclusion, if I buy:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N26UD-896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I place it here:

1zlt3le.jpg

and then need to find myself a DVI to VGA adapter, which I plug into the output on the graphics card.
Then I go into BIO's and set the integrated VGA memory to 0.

And then I possibly need to buy myself a new PSU.

Now, only 1 thing I'm still confused with. I don't see how:

dyn38x.jpg

will fit into:

vfwpj8.jpg

That's the part that looks different and really get's me worried.

It should be in the I/O ports section.

You'll be fine. All PCI-E x16 cards have to be the same width from the port to the back of the case.

Another consideration you need to make, is that your Compaq case might not be big enough to fit the new card into, they do not give you much to work with when it comes to oem cases. The gigabyte GTX 260 card your looking at takes up two spaces which that looks o.k. but the length is 10.9" long so you might want to measure inside the case before you order it. You'll also need a 2x6 pin power connector. Any newer psu should have one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom