Upgrading Nvidia 220 to GTX 570, will power supply support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzaboi

Beta member
Hi I am currently using an Nvidia gtx 220, its overclocked and fried, I play games like world of warcraft and want to play on high resolutions, I recently purchased the Msi Nvidia GTX 570 (Newegg.com - MSI N570GTX-M2D12D5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card), and I was told if my power supply can't handle the card my computer wont work, I have a dell manufactured Desktop and my Power supply is a 'Bestec ATX0350P5WA (Never heard of the company before). The serial label reads as the following':
+5V / 18A
+12VA / 12A
+12VB / 18A
+3.3V / 17A
-12V / 0.8A
+5Vaux / 2A

3.3V & 5V 160W MAX
12VA & 12VB 300W MAX
Will this power supply be capable of running the GTX 570? if not, what do I need to buy/do in order to get it working, tyvm for any help or assistance you may provide.

So if I buy the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply and install that power supply system, then put the new graphics card in, it will work?

Absolutely. Just as long as you've connected everything properly it'll purr like a kitten. Figuratively.

Out of curiosity what model dell do you have? I don't want you to run into any unexpected problems.

Abstract, does it matter if I dont buy that one, atm my PSU is 369 watts at full stress and Im guessing I need aroudn 550-600 watt PSU to power the GTX 570, will any old 550-600 watt PSU support it? or are there specific requirements?

Apparently I need a 550-600 watt PSU with 40+A, I dont know what 40+A means if u can explain

I have Dell studio 540, x-64 based pc, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

There are a few specifics.
Watts, Amps, Connectors, Reliability. Buy any ol' cheap 550W and you risk blowing your whole system.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CHEAP WHEN BUYING A PSU!!! Look at it this way. You are putting your systems life in the hands of your power supply. Who you gonna trust?

40amps in short is the amount of power needed from a specific section of the PSU that will power your gpu.

You're machine is good besides that but it'll be a tight fit as far as the card goes. BUT you need a good PSU...

I agree. Larger Power Supply and good luck getting it (and that long double-wide Card) into a Dell. Check and measure before you buy.

My buddy put his 5970 on a no name brand 1000W PSU, and now he has one of the most expensive paper weights. :D

ROFL!!! I love it.

Corsair has a short video about cheap PSUs. They take a 450W PSU without the exterior cover and put it under 75% load, videoing it as it blew. And then another one just like it, and another. they said they bought six identical PSus and all blew within TWO minutes on a 75% load. Two cheap PSUs cost as much as the Corsair, so where was the savings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom