need help deciding: 5850 vs 6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaS_BMOC

Solid State Member
Been looking to upgrade my vid card. but which is the best choice?

I was thinking the sapphire 5850 xtreme. It seems this model performs relatively on par with the 6000 series from the benchmark tests I've seen, and runs much cooler. It also only costs $150. The only downside being that it is currently out of stock EVERYWHERE, so I have no idea when I will be able to get one. I don't "NEED"

I don't necessarily need it right away, by lowering a few settings, I can run the games I have at 40ish FPS. so I couyld be patient and wait for one to stock.

so the other choice, is the 6870, its newer, so I assume it must have some advantage over the 5850? what are the reasons I should get the 6870 over the 5850?

I can get an XFX 6870 for $188, and there are constant $20 rebate offers going, so I can potentially get it for $168 not much more expensive than the 5850 and its in stock. also form what i've heard, XFX cards have lifetime warranties?

my main concern is the heat. I just have a stock HP computer that i'm upgrading, so I don't have anything really in the form of cooling.

EDIT: what about the sapphire 6870? it has a custom heatsink... opinions?

Those are both very good cards. They are just points away in the benchmarks. However, I would go with the 6870.

What is your PSU wattage?

I have a corsair 650TX v1

EDIT: however, I would like it if you could give me a reason for why you'd go with the 6870? one thing that makes it the better of the cards? or is it just because its the newer model?

thanks for the info.
my main concern is the lack of cooling in my system, will this be an issue, or does the 6870 run cool enough where this won't pose an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom