Upgrading CPU. AM2+ not compatible with AM3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Fader

Solid State Member
Howdy, and thanks for the forum to help my dilemma.

I am looking to upgrade my archaic Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64x2 processor to something i can run high end games with. I am looking at newegg.com for compatible processors for my motherboard Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

...and i cant seem to find any processors that utilize an AM2+ socket like my motherboard has...it says CPU type "CPU Type - Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2", but i am unable to find an Phenoms with AM2+ socket type. Everything seems to be AM3.

Does AM2+ mean that i can use anything above AM2? (ie. AM3, AM4, etc.), or do i specifically need AM2 socket type?

or is it time to get a motherboard that supports AM3?

I am hoping to get 4 cores, or maybe 6.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the insight, Abstract and Trotter.
Actually, great news...I can upgrade to a nice Proc w/out getting a new motherboard.

Why not go with a 6x core now, and not worry about it later?
I don't want to have to upgrade again for at least another 2-3 years, and the rate at which games are requiring more and more from the hardware; i don't want to worry about it for a while.

side question, am i going to have problems, or should i worry about power supply?
Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply <---case and power. Antec w/ 500w supply.
I'll look into it more, but i think the specs of the processors provide how much power you need....fan power, maybe too?

side question #2, am i going to be able to update the bios post CPU installation? my computer will run on the old bios for me to download and install the newer bios?

Thanks for the responses, mucho appreciato!

Thanks for the insight, Abstract and Trotter.
Actually, great news...I can upgrade to a nice Proc w/out getting a new motherboard. Exactly you hit the secret jackpot with this one.

Why not go with a 6x core now, and not worry about it later?
I don't want to have to upgrade again for at least another 2-3 years, and the rate at which games are requiring more and more from the hardware; i don't want to worry about it for a while. Ok, here's the deal. You don't and probably won't need 6 cores. Games as of today have made very little stride in hardware demands in the past year or so thanks to consoles. Regardless most games today fail to even harness 3 or more cores so technically a quad core is future proofing BUT if you have the money and you really want to go Hex-core... GO FOR IT! I can't tell you if games will or won't use hex cores a year from now. No one knows for sure. Long story short it's your call but right now you won't use anymore than quad to its potential.

side question, am i going to have problems, or should i worry about power supply?
Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply <---case and power. Antec w/ 500w supply.
I'll look into it more, but i think the specs of the processors provide how much power you need....fan power, maybe too? Antec Earthwatts EA-500 500W <- That's what you have and IIRC from what the guys here on TF have taught me. That's a decent PSU. I'd only worry about it if your jumping to hex-core and that still depends on your gpu.

side question #2, am i going to be able to update the bios post CPU installation? my computer will run on the old bios for me to download and install the newer bios? No, the update will have to happen before you swap out processors because your mobo will not recognize the new stuff. DO you know how to update a bios? We can help you if you don't.

Thanks for the responses, mucho appreciato!

Answers in red.

Answers in red.

ASUS has a utility i use for updating the bios, but provides no information on the bios updates and what it supports.
2 months ago i updated the bios to the most current option (they do provide the date)...hopefully that is sufficient.

ASUS has a utility i use for updating the bios, but provides no information on the bios updates and what it supports.
2 months ago i updated the bios to the most current option (they do provide the date)...hopefully that is sufficient.

If you updated to the most current 2 months ago, you should be fine. :thumbsup: But just for kicks what was the date on the BIOS.

Bios: 9/21/2010 - 1907

So, i guess i'll whip out this question, just for giggles. I'm sure i could search threads for an answer, but i guess it's more of a forum opinion i am looking for...
I am still running XP on my machine because there was so many downsides to Vista as a gamer...and i am just so comfortable with XP.

I just don't want issues running games because of an OS...and so many games out there support XP.
I don't think it eats up RAM like Vista did (but i could be wrong), and i heard you can run games with a "compatibility mode" somewhat comparable to what XP offered; for games that don't support Win7. Anyone else in here going to be clutching a copy of WinXP in their hands while wheezing away their last dying words on their deathbed?

Should i upgrade to Win7? if so, what are the pros/cons? (gaming wise)

Bios: 9/21/2010 - 1907

So, i guess i'll whip out this question, just for giggles. I'm sure i could search threads for an answer, but i guess it's more of a forum opinion i am looking for...
I am still running XP on my machine because there was so many downsides to Vista as a gamer...and i am just so comfortable with XP.

I just don't want issues running games because of an OS...and so many games out there support XP.
I don't think it eats up RAM like Vista did (but i could be wrong), and i heard you can run games with a "compatibility mode" somewhat comparable to what XP offered; for games that don't support Win7. Anyone else in here going to be clutching a copy of WinXP in their hands while wheezing away their last dying words on their deathbed?

Should i upgrade to Win7? if so, what are the pros/cons? (gaming wise)

Vista: Take it out of the equation. It is, was, and always will be garbage. :p

XP will game fine. All new games still support XP as of now but It may not stay that way for long. Windows 7 is fantastic for gaming and everything else. I have Home, Pro, and Ultimate on several machines in my house each for their own task. I game on my machine with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Pros:
Compatibility mode, you can run just about every game ever made for PC on Win7

Cons:
None that I can think of...

Now for Pros and Cons besides gaming the list goes on... and on.. Honestly, I would upgrade. With support for XP getting cut and the many advantages of 7 it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom