Help securing my system in a hostile classroom environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorta

Beta member
(I wasn't entirely sure where this topic belonged. Am I getting warmer?)

Alright, so I've been attending a Computer Hardware and Networking class for some time now, and with the school year coming to an end and our curiculums basically complete, our teacher has declared total desktop warfare.

Next week, we'll be building and setting up a new bunch of HP desktops with identical specs, all running Windows 7 and set up on the same network.
We'll be parted into groups of 3, and everybody's individual computers are now open game. The following weeks will consist of information espionage, aggressive batch files and the secret stripping of other groups computers for parts.

It'll be on a point system decided by techniques executed, the functionality of your computer by the end of the "War" (counting how many parts are left in your system and haven't been 'liberated' by other students while you were away) and how few times you were caught.

Now, I don't plan to risk my bottom "liberating" parts from other people unless I have to (I'm not sneaky) but I would definitely like to secure my system as well as I can (I should like to have at least ONE stick of RAM in my computer by the end of the war...)
I'm going to observe the basic security precautions; passwords, BIOS settings and encryptions, and I will probably put locks on all of my peripherals to their ports to keep others from running off with them.

But if anybody has any suggestions I would be very grateful. ^^

(also, my system is set up with a custom SHODAN AI theme from System Shock 2, if anybody knows of it... I already have it set up with system sounds and whatnot that makes it very spooky, if anybody knows how I could incorporate this theme into my efforts it would be wonderful. Maybe a sound or video is activated upon an incorrect password entry or lockdown?)

Consider a high quality lock that will lock the case. If I was doing it, and the teacher didn't care what I did, I would super glue some components/locks down to make sure it is inaccessible. Also, consider tieing the case down to the desk with a high strength cable and some heavy duty bolts. After all, it is warfare, and the easiest way to win is to swipe the whole tower.

Also, try to disable the USB ports, you might actually be able to find something to insert into the port, that wont damage it, but would be difficult to remove, this would prove beneficial to help keeping people from gaining access via a live flash drive. Disable the boot from cd option entirely, and boot from other media options in the bios, use both a BIOS and SYSTEM password, superglue the case screws to the case, and to the hard drive, but nothing else. Would make the bond hard to break, but shouldn't cause damage.

Consider a high quality lock that will lock the case. If I was doing it, and the teacher didn't care what I did, I would super glue some components/locks down to make sure it is inaccessible. Also, consider tieing the case down to the desk with a high strength cable and some heavy duty bolts. After all, it is warfare, and the easiest way to win is to swipe the whole tower.

Also, try to disable the USB ports, you might actually be able to find something to insert into the port, that wont damage it, but would be difficult to remove, this would prove beneficial to help keeping people from gaining access via a live flash drive. Disable the boot from cd option entirely, and boot from other media options in the bios, use both a BIOS and SYSTEM password, superglue the case screws to the case, and to the hard drive, but nothing else. Would make the bond hard to break, but shouldn't cause damage.

I cannot believe I didn't remember to disable "Boot from" settings. This is likely to be the most-tried tactic for cracking. Thanks so much!

It really is one of the easiest ways into any system, also, look into an install of TrueCrypt.

Or, look into BitLocker for Win7 using a USB flash drive or something.

You can also disable the USB ports in the BIOS, just make sure you glue the CMOS battery in and cover the two reset pins so they can't short-clear the bios either. Assuming you lock down the case well enough tho that shouldn't be a problem.

glue the crap out of the 110v - 220v switch on the psu. Or take it out if you're feeling ballsy, provided that part of the requirement is that you're computer has to work by the end of the project period.

put a virus on a usb drive and plug it in to the other computers when they're not around. just get a virus that will write 1's and 0's to the HDD!

and if you can swing it you should disconnect the power switch so the only way to turn the PC on is to 'jump' it with a screwdriver on the 2 power button pins. that way it can stay off the whole week and when you've gotta prove it works unlock it pop it open and turn it on.

that sounds like a rather exciting project actually haha

Doe your bios support a hard disk password?
this is not a password on the bios....but a password to access the hard drive. If you can enable this, No one will be able to access this drive and the drive will not work on another pc

Doe your bios support a hard disk password?
this is not a password on the bios....but a password to access the hard drive. If you can enable this, No one will be able to access this drive and the drive will not work on another pc

TrueCrypt would work as well. Can encrypt the entire drive with a couple different options of encryption algorithms.

And this does sound like a pretty fun project lol...

Carry a couple of spare power cords with you, and steal all of theirs. :D Go for both tower and monitor cables. Be sure to remove and take ALL removable cords with you when you are not at the computer.

Get a spare dvi or vga cable, pull a few pins out from either end, swap their cable with damaged one :thumbsup: :devil:
Don't forget about keyloggers too, won't enumerate too much on this one here tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom